Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hell to the Redskins

Luca Brasi

Well, today is the day. Or it was actually yesterday but it takes a good 12 hours for the alcohol to wear off and for the picture to become painfully clear. Although, this day is one that only presents itself every three or four years, a Redskins leap year if you will. It's not only the point at which we realize that this season is a lost cause, which is as clear as the sky on this beautiful Monday morning. Actually, this is the day that we realize that the Redskins are once again going to have monumental changes taking place, if not before seasons' end, then most certainly after it. It's a time when we understand all of the negative press clippings we've been denying over the last few weeks, and we start to take them as gospel.

Gentlemen, Steve Spurrier will never succeed in the NFL. It's not only because the Fun & Gun looks like a giant piece of sh*t, but that's certainly part of it. It's not only because he couldn't pick up a blitz if he designed it himself, but that's also certainly part of it. Spurrier is not a motivator or a disciplinarian, and without either of those characteristics, he simply doesn't have a chance. Great coaches are both. To be a good coach, you have to have at least one of those things. He has neither.

Pay me $5 million, and I guaran-fuc*in-tee you I can design a max protect scheme that will not give up a sack. I'll keep 9 guys in to protect if I have to. We had two weeks to prepare for this Dallas game. That was the most pitiful offensive performance we've seen since Marty was here. And it's certainly not going to get any better with our schedule.

I've tried to stay positive. I've bashed others for being negative. But we learned a lot about the Redskins and Steve Spurrier yesterday. He has lost this team. They don't believe in his system. Ramsey looks scared back there because he's been killed all year. Who could blame him? Coles probably regrets coming here. Champ's counting the days until he's out. Arrington is probably doing the same.

I will say this. I don't blame Dan Snyder for this. He's tried, dammit. He's tried to make this thing work. He took a chance hiring a college coach; a chance any team in the NFL would have taken. Unfortunately, it backfired. Now the question is, do we watch this debacle for another year, or do we cut our losses at seasons' end and hire a coach with NFL experience and a GM. Two weeks ago, I would have said the former. Today I say the latter.

Archived