Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading the 'ole ball coach

kve

Since there have been a couple posts on grading the team, I thought that I would get a crack at it for just Spurrier (being brief).

Game 1, Jets: pretty good 1st half offensively and defensively -- would have been great if we could have one more TD's instead of a FG.. In the second half, some breakdowns in OL caused too much pressure on Ramsey and Spurrier went conservative against a team having trouble on offense. Pretty good idea, but we didn't have a great 2nd half, but we won a game we should have won.

Grade: B, Good execution 1st half, safe play-calling in the 2nd half.

Game 2: Atlanta: We begin to see that the OL stinks!!. The first quarter and half we look like we are in real trouble. Spurrier makes some adjustments and the O begins to look real good. D is inconsistent but holds on.

Grade: B-: Good adjustments on O, but we begin to worry about inconsistentancy and defense stopping a bad team!

Game 3, Giants: Lousy first half, "pretty dang good' 2nd half, but defense folds in the OT. While we are inconsistent, we begin to see a character, identity that this is a never say die team.

Grade C: Any team that refuses to give up has to reflects well on the head coach -- but same scenario as week before

Game 4: NE, It seems to me that Spurrier played the Pats "D" to a draw (which is fine by me) and the Pat's O had too many turnovers (or good redskins D). At the time the Pats were just a beat up team, but still a solid well coached team with good backups (aren't the 5-2 now?).

Grade: B-: At the time, it seemed like we should have manhandled them. The "O" seemed out of synch a lot.

Game 5: Philly. Again lousy first half and then came roaring back. The lack of OL protection caused two costly TO's and two TD's for Philly. Pretty obvious we can't block anybody.

Grade: C-, I like the comeback, never say die attitude but the line stinks and we are dying.

Game 6: Tampa. Played with the team for a half (and a little more) OL stinks, D stinks and looks lost. We find out that Spurrier wanted more relief for Dockery and didn't get it!! Who's running the show.

Grade: D. No shame in getting stomped by the BUCs, but no improvement on OL and Spurrier request for help for Dockery goes unheeded!

Game 7: Bills: The Bills are the schizo team for the year, SB bound after week two, Toilet Bowl bound for a few games, very sharp against us. The redskins come out flat. However we get a couple a couple of big passes and stay in the game. Dockery forgets that he is a redskin and knocks the ball out of Ramsey's hand costing us 7 pts (most likely).

Grade: D-, We have the same weakness as early in the year and the team has lost the fire, never say die attitude.

BYE Week: Grade F. I can't believe this place. As a new skins fan (UF guy), I am beginning to hope that Synder does fire Spurrier so Steve can go somewhere else in the NFL for a really lousy team and begin to build from scratch. Maybe Jax, Arizona, Chicago (hmmm,..he needs a warm weather spot!).

Overall: C- , I don't like the fact that the team has been inconsistent or has regressed. However without a better performing OL and DL -- fergetta' 'bout it. However with the lousy OL and DL, we are pretty lucky to be 3-4

kve

Archived