Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Objective morals are authoritarian

alexey

I think it is both, but with disclaimers. My thinking changed a bit in the course of this thread.

Maybe we should draw a distinction between principles and actions. Principles of objective morals are grounded in authority, and therefore can be called authoritarian, but that is not the same "authoritarian" that we mean when we refer to actions.

Still, the basic idea is that people do not have access to objective morals. When they say that they do, they are attempting to influence other people by referring to authority. "Not only I think this way, but this is actually the ultimate truth."

I think that there's probably a distinction to be made based on where objective morality comes from though. If a society is basing their objective moral code on the will or desire of a deity, then yes, I think OM is probably authoritarian. If you have one supreme being setting the rules for all humans, I think that fits the definition of authoritarianism better than if your objective morality is gleaned elsewhere. And I do believe that you can have objective morality without the mandate of god.

Archived