Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm hoping that Mariucci sticks it to the 49ers

The Wicked Wop

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/09/30/bc.fbn.lions.mariucci.ap/index.html

Mariucci set to face team that fired him

Posted: Tuesday September 30, 2003 1:05AM; Updated: Tuesday September 30, 2003 1:04AM

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Steve Mariucci tried to keep a lock on the emotions he has about returning to San Francisco.

But when Detroit's coach was pressed for his feelings Monday because he's known for five or six months this game was coming, Mariucci said with a grin: "Actually, eight."

Mariucci was fired in January by the 49ers three days after they lost to Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Less than three weeks later, he signed a five-year, $25-million contract to coach the Lions and return to his home state.

"I guess it's different, let's be honest, than going to Houston or Jacksonville," Mariucci said after letting his guard down. "I'll know half the people in the stands and I'll know the players."

Mariucci's new -- and old -- teams have 1-3 records.

In Detroit, where the Lions won just five games in the previous two seasons, it's expected. In San Francisco, it's not.

"We know the Niners are better than a 1-3 team," Mariucci said. "They're a couple of plays away from being a 3-1. They're a talented team."

As much as Mariucci was reluctant to delve into his feelings about returning to San Francisco, he acknowledged: "It's kind of a neat story."

Mariucci started his news conference Monday by saying "nice to see you again," to two reporters from California, who flew to Detroit to talk to him.

"This is like the reunion weekend," Mariucci said. "Mike Holmgren going back to Green Bay, Tony Dungy going back to Tampa Bay. And you've got Emmitt Smith playing the Cowboys.

"When you think about it, this is the sign of the times. As coaches and players, to stay with one team and retire after 15 years is a dinosaur. That's not going to happen very often. People are going to be changing teams, for whatever the reason."

Despite overseeing a rebuilding process in the middle of his six-year tenure in San Francisco, Mariucci was 60-43, including a 3-4 mark in the playoffs.

With an organization determined to add to its five Super Bowl trophies, Mariucci didn't do enough keep his job.

Team owner John York cited philosophical differences with Mariucci -- not the team's performance -- as the reason for his dismissal, although York's exact problems with the coach remain murky.

"I don't enjoy talking about it," Mariucci said.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I hope the Lions take it to them.

The 49ers deserve every single bad thing that happens to them for firing Mooch. I hope they don't win another game all year, that'll teach those arrogant, spoiled ****s to fire a playoff caliber coach b/c he lost to the world champs.

Archived