Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Serious Business (Skins vs Ravens)

rd421

serious-business.jpg

Honestly, I just don’t get it. Not at all… not one bit. Everywhere you look, people are doing there best to start some Redskins Ravens Rivalry, a “Battle of the Beltway”

CSN Washington has had players giving their opinions of the “Rivalry” all week long. It’s boring. I don’t care that John Harbaugh saying that the Ravens are taking over the Redskins fan base, or that Jonathan Ogden said “…It’s pretty hard to be a rivalry when only one team is any good at all”.

Can we just finally settle this? There is no “Battleof the Beltway”. There is no Baltimore - DC rivalry in sports period, it does not exist. It is more a joke than anything honestly. If you don’t believe me just watch any of the phenomenal match ups between the Nat’s and O’s.

You will find the stands full of people wearing Orioles jerseys and Nationals hats at the same time. Just yesterday as I drove to work I came up on a car that was covered in Redskins stickers. The lady driving was wearing a Ravens Tshirt. It’s because no one cares, and for the huge number of casual fans in this mixed market, they have two teams to support. I don’t like it but it is what it is.

John Ogden was correct it’s hard to say that anything is a rivalry when it has been historically lopsided. I mean its no secret that outside of 2005 and maybe 2007 ,the Redskins have been less than impressive during the short existence of the Ravens. That said the Ravens have much history at all save the 2001 season. It’s not like these guys play every year or are in the same division.

The point that I am making is this; REAL Rivalries (no the kind made up by ESPN) take decades to become real. Look at the greatest rivalries in sports; Yankees – Red Sox,OhioState–Michigan, ahem… Redskins – Cowboys, they all have WAY more history than a regular season game once every so often, and a yearly preseason game.

The Ravens – Steelers rivalry right now is one of the best in football, the games are phenomenal. They are intense, hard hitting, dramatic, and more importantly they carry serious weight.

They usually have play off implications or they are an actual playoff game and the two teams hate each other. It’s beautiful.

In DC there is yearly “Dallas Week” where fans are consumed by memories of John Riggins, Darrel Green, Santana Moss, and RFK literally shaking with rabid fans screaming “WE WANT DALLAS”. All Redskin fans have two favorite teams; The Washington Redskins and whover is playing the Cowboys. Watching Dallaslose is almost as fun as a Redskins win. The hatred for Dallas is ingrained into the very DNA of a Skins fan, and honstly that is just not the case regarding the Ravens.

Rivalry has an emotional attachment, it is something that fathers pass down to there sons. It divides families, ruins friendships and causes all of us to hate the crazyDallasfan in the office. It IS NOT a preseason game…ever. So like I said there is no rivalry game tonight.

Even though there is no rivalry, there are a lot questions that will be answered in tonight’s very important, non – rivalry game.

Finish reading here

Archived