Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chron (AP Texas): People stampede for Dallas housing vouchers (w/vids)

#98QBKiller

This is crazy, even a pregnant woman got trampled...so how many of the Cowboys fans from ATN were in this stampede?

click link for more:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7653790.html

People stampede for Dallas housing vouchers

DALLAS — The head of Dallas County Health and Human Services defended the agency's handling of a Thursday morning event at which hundreds of people broke ranks from an estimated 5,000-person crowd and stampeded toward a stadium to obtain applications for hard-to-get housing vouchers.

Officials said some people got bumps and bruises when they fell or got stepped on, but no one was taken to the hospital.

Zachary Thompson, director of the agency, told WFAA-TV that there's "no perfect way" to distribute the forms. This was the first time in years that Dallas County accepted applications for the federally funded Section 8 vouchers which pay a portion of the rent based on income.

Youtube vids:

Not to make light of people getting hurt... but there is a certain irony of this race/stampede going into the Jessie Owens stadium.

---------- Post added July-15th-2011 at 11:25 AM ----------

Also-

Here in chicago they avoided this by not making the line first come first serve. They opened the application process this spring for the first time in 10 years, they then screen the applications and get rid of those who dont qualify. Then, the winners are selected via lottery, so it doesnt matter if you are first or 5,000th in line.

I was not there, but it's not surprising to hear that there was trampling taking place. :ols: Plus, I can't remember the last time it was under 100 degrees. I'm sure a lot of people were desperate to get inside. I lose about five pounds every afternoon walking to my car after work. Then I gain those five pounds back when I have dinner. Then the cycle continues the next day.

Archived