Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV....need help.....Kurp or anyone...how

Hitnskins

I just went out and bought a Mitsubishi 55" and a Zenith SAT520 HD converter box, and a nice pair of antennas to pick up the local channels.

My first problem is.....I bought the DVI cable, and it's pretty much a no brainer as to where you plug it in..........but my problem is, all I get through it is sound....no picture. I called Directv and the people there acted like they had never heard of DVI cable......so they had me hook up my system using the Red, Blue, & Green cables that came with the Zenith converter box, then take the red and white wire's and hook them to transmit the sound........all through Componet 1.

My Question is, how do I use the DVI, and what input would I use to pick it up? Ant A didn't work, nor anything else I tired.I loked in my owners manual for the tv, and it looks as if I mi ght need a nother cable called a Monitor Link Control/RS-232....but I didn't see anything about it in my Zenith manual, nor did the guy at the store telll me I need it......and he was pushing everything else under the sun.....so I don't know why he wouldn't have tried to selll me that if I needed it.

Next, I can't get my antennas to pick up any local channels.....and I have no idea why I can't .........do you guys have any suggestions, or things I can look for.........or tell me what I need to do.because I am lost trying to pick up local HD channels.....and I know I do get them, because I already looked them up in my area.

Also.....is there any trick to changing formats, or how each station is being shown on the tv? When I go from watching ESPN(HD), to another normal channel(say FOX), or any local channel.....the picture is pretty bad..worse than your normal difference from HD to regular tv.......do I need to change it from 1080l on the Zen convert to another setting when I change channels?

I know this a lot of questions.....and it's a shame that I have to get advice from from fellow Redskins Fans, as opposed to the people at Directv(who straight up told me that they weren't trained very thoroughly in High Def), and the pricks at Best Buy who obviously don't know anymore than I do ...and I'd say at this point I porobably know more than them do to the help I have gotten on this board......which is GREATLY appreciated.

And much thanks to anyone who can help me with these problems and questions!!!!

Hail to the SKINS!!!!!......and here's to hoping that I can watch them in hidef this weekend:paranoid:

Dolemite,

You lucky dog...you get my first post ever.

Anyways, a DVI cable is video ONLY so you will not get any sound out of it. Thus you will need to hook up some rca cables(red/white) or digital audio cable (coaxial/optical) from your zenith to your HT receiver. Of course the digital audio cable is preferred, only way to get true 5.1 from the signal source. When I was watching the NCAA final game, the games and announcer were in the front speaker and the crowds were in the surrounds...very cool. CBS does quality 5.1 while ABC seems to lag.

Regarding your questions about your antenna. I don't know where you live but I live in No. VA and I have great success with the Silver Surfer antenna that I bought from Circuit City. Picks up everything. You can check it out at Zenith.com. Also, check out

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp to find out what antenna you need. Use your Zenith receiver to see what channels you pick up afterwards...check your manual.

You probably should switch the resolution from your tv from 1080 to 540/480 depending on your tv. I don't see much difference.

I tell you what really made the experience for me. Actually 2 things. I have regular Directv and the signal is complete crap. What you need to do is turn down the sharpness to very low - it is turned all the way up via the factory. What your tv is doing is amplifying the crappy signal from the satellites and that is why you are getting that grainy picture. I switched mine from nearly 50 to 5 and the picture is acceptable now. And it past the wife test.

Second, you might want to think about getting a better hdtv receiver. I had the zenith and it is nice, but when I went up to the platinum hughes hdtv receiver which is not much more, I no longer get that stretch look from my aspect ratio. I can give you more info if you need it.

Hail to the Redskins

That's weired regarding the DVI............when I had it hooked up, all that was coming through was sound...............no picture at all..........what could be the cause of that..........i ended up having to use the red, blue, & green wires to get a picture..............what input should I use when using DVI cable? Like when I use the red, blue, green, cable I switch it to Comp 1, because it doesn't come through any other input......so what would I set it to when using DVI?

I live in Richmond Virginia.......down in the Fan.

Thanks for all the input too............

As far as getting the local HD Channels I would suggest that you try to to scan for them in the setup menu of the 520. There is more than likely a data base built in that requires you to input your zip code.

Since I do not have a 520 or Mits I could not give you much more.

The AVS Forum is you best bet. If you can get the DVI Cable to work it's a plus for digital.

Regular cable will look like crap after viewing HD so you will have to live with it. Try turning of the SVM or VSM circuit on your picture controls, that may help some.

This is a frustrating and long learning process. It's kinda like when color TV first came out, and you are the only one in the neighborhood that has it. Don't rely on the people from the stores or even the tech help lines that the manufactures have. Learn all you can and keep asking questions. good luck.

Dolemite,

The reason why you are getting sound is because you got the red/white audio cable hooked up. Remember, DVI is for video only.

On my Hitachi 57" for the comp1 hookup, you can only plug in either the DVI or the component cable(the red/green/blue) cable and the tv will detect which one is connected. I decided to go with component because the video quality is not going to be that noticeable for a semi-novice like me. I'm gonna guess you are not going to see a huge difference either. Also what deter me from going with the DVI is eating the 100 bucks for the cable. But anyways, check with your manual to see if there anything else you need to do to get the DVI going. Also carlsbadd is right about the SVM / VSM circuit for a slightly better picture.

If I recall correctly when I was shopping for hdtvs...the mitsu only came with firewire connection and did not have a DVI/hdcp connection. This was about 6 months ago and I am pretty positive about that lineup.

rp

SVM/VSM..........are you talking about the sharpness? Trust me, this is definitely a big(but fun) learning experience.........you guys don't know how much I appreciate the help too!!!

DC_Hokie, I really do think that it's got the DVI Connection.........and I'm pretty positive about that.....It hooked right in like it's suppose to(my set is a Mits WS55313) http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/2003_2004_product/2003_2004_frameset.html ....and I'm telling you, I was getting sound without the red and white hooked up........I know it sounds crazy, but that's the truth..........a friend of mine just now told me that the Zenith box has a switch on that back of it that switches it from componet to DVi...........so i'm going to try that when I get home.

This is the antenna I bought...........should it be able to pick up Hdtv????

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&qp=0310037520810&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=33186&catoid=-8760

Thanks for the help and input guys!

The SVM/VSM circuity helps with sharpness around all the edges you see on the tv.

All this stuff I've learned from viewing avsforum.com. It is your best source of info. All of these questions have been discussed in depth on that site. Again...check out avsforum.com

And regarding which antenna I would try both and return which ever one sucks. My bet is you are going to keep the silver surfer. It looks funky but it works.

Good luck on that switch on the zenith unit.

Hail to the skins and kick some falcon tail

If you are set on having a indoor antenna the Silver Sensor(not surfer dude) is really good. Return the other piece of junk. This is another good indoor antenna

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=930%2D0998

Also your friend may be correct about the switch on the back of the Zenith. give it a try and report back

Archived