Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone remember these trade talks?

BlitzFiftySix

What if?

I was watching the Saints play this evening and something stuck in my mind about Chad Morton playing for the Saints at one time.

This triggered the memory of the Redskins once trading for, or attempting to trade for Chad Morton a few years back.

I did some research on KFFL.COM and came up with this? Did anyone remember that we almost had a few years ago for a 7th round pick?

Just wondering if anyone else remembered this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saints | Morton Not Discussed - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:13:44 -0700

The Sun Herald's Steve Wiseman reports, contrary to earlier reports, New Orleans Saints GM Randy Mueller said he and the Washington Redskins never discussed a deal involving Saints RB Chad Morton before the two sides made a deal for RB Robert Arnaud.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins | Trade Complete - Not For Morton - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:00:58 -0700

The Washington Post reports the Washington Redskins completed their reported trade with the New Orleans Saints on Friday. They acquired RB Robert Arnaud, not Chad Morton as expected. Arnaud will compete for a reserve RB job and will cost the Redskins a low-round draft choice, probably a seventh-round selection, if he makes the team. The Redskins also are in discussions with free agent RB Madre Hill, an NFL Europe standout. Trading for Arnaud does not necessarily eliminate the possibility of the Redskins signing Hill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redskins | Trading For Morton? - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:26:18 -0700

The Washington Times reports the Washington Redskins are close to finalizing a trade for New Orleans Saints backup RB Chad Morton. The compensation will likely be for one or more draft picks. Saints GM Randy Mueller confirmed the trade talks, saying, "We have an extra running back, and [the Redskins] let it be known that they are looking for one." If Morton is acquired, he would take over Skip Hicks' role with the Redskins. There is a remote possibility the Redskins could look at Saints RB Fred McAfee, though McAfee's age (33) makes Morton a far more attractive candidate.

Yeah, I remember all the talk. But as I recall it turned out that the Saints never really talked about moving Chad Morton. They were always talking about moving Robert Arnaud, who we got for a conditional #7 pick and who never even touched the ball in a preseason game and got cut [he was injured as I understand it] :D So this was much speculation about nothing, because the way I later read it, Chad Morton was not available.

Archived