Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My impressions - Carolina Game

Brave

OK, it was ugly ... we all know that. We also know it was only pre-season and, while it sucks to stink it up, ultimately it doesn't mean anything. And, of course, no one got hurt.

Believe it or not, there were some interesting things I saw from last night's game. Here's a few of my observations:

- The defense looks VERY aggressive. Reminded me of Dom Capers' zone blitz. I didn't expect to see so much activity in the first preseason game, but they were bringing SOMEONE (CBs, safeties, LBs) to the QB regularly. The D-line didn't stop the run very well, obviously, but they weren't half bad in pressuring the QBs in passing situations. Our depth in the defensive backfield looked like ... well ... depth.

- Ramsey didn't get much of a chance to do anything. He missed a few. Threw a few nice passes that were dropped. Didn't get any help from the running game. Wasn't on the field enough to get anything going.

- The O-line didn't look good at all. Not surprising considering new faces, first game, etc. No holes for the RBs. No great protection for the QBs. They need some more work. The talent is there but they need to gel and become a unit.

- Special teams looked like the joke it has been for most of the last 5 years.

- Rob Johnson did not look like a bad back-up QB. He looked confident and mobile. Didn't hold the ball too long. had some drops and a lot of pressure but he didn't look bad at all. His surrounding cast didn't do much, though.

- It looked like they've changed the helmets to a darker color and a metallic finish. I also think the jerseys were slightly darker. Very nice, for what it's worth. Not quite as nice as the retros IMHO, but a nice minor change.

One thing I forgot: Arrington was ALL over the field in his limited playing time. Unfortunately it was usually pursuing Davis down the field, but it was still impressive. He ran him down 30 yards down the field and made the tackle on Davis' big run.

It's hard not to focus on Lavar when he's on the field.

Special teams looked like the joke it has been for most of the last 5 years.

I wonder when we're actually going to start addressing this concern. I mean, we bring a lifeguard in to kick field goals? And Barker?? I'm not even going to go there.

The O-line definitely needs to gel. You're right Brave, no holes for the running backs and the QBs were running for their lives all night. But, I"m happy with what I saw from Johnson. He just needs to learn to tuck the ball away and take sacks instead of trying to make a play that's not there. I don't mean wait for a sack to come to HIM, but if he's got three guys in his grill about to take him down, just be humble and take the punishment. Otherwise, he's going to throw INTs or fumble.

I'm not happy with what I saw from the O-line and receivers dropping passes. The only thing I can say is that it is preseason and I hope this is a wake up call at the very beginning.

HTTR!

Archived