Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMW 745i question

NoleSkin21

A) Bull. FWD is better in snow in most cases but if you know how to drive in the snow RWD can get the job done. Witness the millions more RWD cars on the road.

B) The rest of the time when it's not snowing RWD rules.

C) If snow is your biggest concern get something with AWD. Preferably something like this. :silly:

Gotta love snow driving tips from a guy in Daytona Beach! :)

If it is rear wheel drive like most BMWs are then you won't be able to drive it in the snow.
A) Bull. FWD is better in snow in most cases but if you know how to drive in the snow RWD can get the job done. Witness the millions more RWD cars on the road.

B) The rest of the time when it's not snowing RWD rules.

C) If snow is your biggest concern get something with AWD. Preferably something like this. :silly:

I don't know, man. I know with the right driver (and more importantly, the right tires) RWD can do fine in the snow but in most cases, no. We got a quick 4-6 inches here a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it was a nightmare. Everywhere I tried to go there was a spun out BMW or Mercedes blocking the way. I kid you not, every single car I saw spun out (save one wrecked Cayenne Turbo S....ouch) was a bimmer or benz. I saw at least 8 of them. My little Golf did fine, though. You can't just roll out in the snow in a 7 series with the standard issue tires and think you're going to get much of anywhere.

I had an '01 Trans Am WS6 for four years when I lived in MD. I used to drive it in the snow all the time - and with summer tires, lol! If it was just because of the car, trust me, that beast would've been in the ditch for sure. Either you know how to drive in the snow or you don't. I learned it growing up in the Midwest where there is snow all winter long. Out here things are different and most folks don't learn the skill, I guess because it doesn't snow that much. But it's all about the driver. :2cents:

I don't know, man. I know with the right driver (and more importantly, the right tires) RWD can do fine in the snow but in most cases, no. We got a quick 4-6 inches here a few weeks ago on a Saturday and it was a nightmare. Everywhere I tried to go there was a spun out BMW or Mercedes blocking the way. I kid you not, every single car I saw spun out (save one wrecked Cayenne Turbo S....ouch) was a bimmer or benz. I saw at least 8 of them. My little Golf did fine, though. You can't just roll out in the snow in a 7 series with the standard issue tires and think you're going to get much of anywhere.

I'm not sure how people drove before FWD came out. The driver is the blame not the car.

I just drive my mustang backwards in the snow, works like a charm. :silly:

Archived