Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Couple of Eagles holding out

jimster

Staley, McDougle Absent From Eagles Camp

Jul 28, 8:14 PM (ET) Email this Story

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) - As the Philadelphia Eagles filtered into training camp Monday, a top draft choice and a key veteran were not among them.

Defensive end Jerome McDougle, the Eagles' first-round draft pick, and running back Duce Staley did not attend the mandatory 7 p.m. meeting at Lehigh University.

McDougle is expected to replace three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Hugh Douglas, and Staley ran for 1,029 yards and five touchdowns last year. This season, however, Staley is likely to see his workload diminish because of the return of third-year back Correll Buckhalter, who missed last season with a knee injury.

Staley and cornerback Bobby Taylor were the only two players not to participate in the team's last minicamp. Both are in the final years of their contracts. Staley is scheduled to make $2.2 million this year, his seventh with the Eagles.

Taylor did arrive on time Monday, and he made it clear he's excited to be here.

"I'm so happy," said Taylor, who is scheduled to make $4.1 million in base salary this season. "I've been blessed. This is my ninth season, and I've been fortunate enough to be with the Eagles for all of those seasons."

Taylor did not attend the Eagles' last minicamp, which was technically voluntary, because he wanted the team to open up discussions concerning a new contract. But he said again that he wasn't trying to force the Eagles to make an offer.

"I think it was kind of distorted a bit," Taylor said. "It wasn't about me trying to get the Eagles to sign me to an extension. Not being here was rough. It ate me up.

"I'm here for training camp, and that's the most important thing.

Taylor, who has been with the Eagles longer than any other current player, is coming off his first Pro Bowl season. He said that while the Eagles are his first choice, if he has to leave after the season, so be it.

"If this is my last year with the Eagles, I'm content to move on," Taylor said. "Right now, I've put all of that behind me, and I'm just looking forward to having a great season."

Archived