Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: Why Democrats Are Smiling

JMS

Even though Reagan said that libertarian was at the heart of American conservatism, I really fail to see why any libertarians would make alliance with some of these folks, especially since some of them have authoritarian tendencies. But of course, we have to go back a few generations (to the FDR years) to see the roots of this alliance.

I think I see your point. Most southern social conservatives voted Democratic right up until LBJ. But I think social conservatrives weren't a consistant voting block as they came from more places than just the south.

Even if they did vote Republican before Reagan there were many factions of Republicans. George Bush Senior was a liberal conservative. Gerold Ford was a moderate not a conservative at all. Most people back in the 70's believed Reagan would never become President, because he was such a fringe candidate they thought he was unelectable.

I think Reagan / Bill Cassy his campagn manager, with his moral majority is the first time social conservatives were really brought together with fiscal conseratives in a cohesive block. Least in my living memory. I think they started out an invited guest in the GOP, and today they're the holders of the keys of power in the party..

I think I see your point. Most southern social conservatives voted Democratic right up until LBJ. But I think social conservatrives weren't a consistant voting block as they came from more places than just the south.

Even if they did vote Republican before Reagan there were many factions of Republicans. George Bush Senior was a liberal conservative. Gerold Ford was a moderate not a conservative at all. Most people back in the 70's believed Reagan would never become President, because he was such a fringe candidate they thought he was unelectable.

I think Reagan / Bill Cassy his campagn manager, with his moral majority is the first time social conservatives were really brought together with fiscal conseratives in a cohesive block. Least in my living memory. I think they started out an invited guest in the GOP, and today they're the holders of the keys of power in the party..

Sounds like a good analysis of the political past. This is probably around the time when the northeastern liberal Republicans saw a greater decline in their influence as well.

I think you saw this social - economic conservative flirtation in the past, but, as you said, it was really the first time, under Reagan, that they really became more cohesive as a political bloc.

Archived