Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Game Thread

Redskins432

It's Tuesday, and well.....I'm still trying to forget Sunday. So I figure, let's reach into the vault, select a random game, watch, and then list some of my ramblings for you guys to see.

The game we select is....... 2002. Redskins vs. Packers. Well, this should maybe provide for some laughs....who knows.

Setting: We enter the game late after a Bears/Lions OT thriller. Redskins enter at 2-3. Packers enter at 5-1. Skins in the White tops and Burgundy bottoms. 2002 was the year we wore those special 70th ann. uniforms at home. Those were sweet. Gold bottoms, spears on the helmet. I have a Stephen Davis one around here somewhere. This is Patrick Ramsey's 2nd career start, 1st on the Road. Last week the Redskins were defeated 43-27 by the Saints. It was the Beertruck Driver coming out party. Anyway we enter the game.....

*Ha! Scores scroll on the bottom. It tells us that Oakland leads the NFL in total offense.

* It's the start of the 2nd Quarter. GB leads 7-3. Stephen Davis has just fumbled.

*We have a Daryl Gardner sighting. Brian Baldinger loves him.

*Champ Bailey with some nice coverage against Terry Glenn. Almost some PI. Lambeau fans are upset.

*Packers attempt a fake field goal. (Ironic) However the pass falls incomplete.

*Here comes the vaunted Spurrier offense!

*Derrius Thompson with a nice catch

*Gilbert Brown with some funky dance. Quote from Baldinger, "Brown lunged at his shoe like it was a whopper!"

*Mike Sherman is irate at an illegeal hands to the face call against his Packers. Baldinger sides with the Packers. It has now been 2 plays since, and Baldinger is still yapping on about the call.

*A confused Ramsey calls timeout. Spurrier is beside himself. Ramsey follows the TO with a terrible throw that is picked off. Skins are saved by an illegal contact flag. Baldinger dislikes the initial call. Gives in reluctantly after the replay is shown.

*Same drive.....Ramsey calls his 2nd TO. Confusion reigns supreme on our Skins right now.

*Kordell Stewart in an NFL Fantasy Fooball commercial. Kinda funny.

*Here's 2 good names for you. Kenny Watson and Chris Doering.

*1st down on the Packer 30....Ramsey is sacked by KGB. Gardner is wide open on the replay and is pleading his case with Ramsey.

*Rosen says Ramsey is known to be an accurate passer.

*Oh lord, here comes a FG attempt. James Tuthill boots a 53 yarder. It's a career best for Tuthill

*Nice closeup of Marvin Lewis, our DC.

*What an interesting defense we had in 2002. Garnder, Arrington, Trotter, Armstead, Ohalete, B. Smith.

*In the gamebreak, Derrick Brooks scores his 4th defensive TD this season, a record.

*Arrington in his prime. Making nice tackles and flying all over the field.

*Wow. Incredible 3 plays. First, Personal Foul facemask, Holding, and Pass Interference all called on the Skins in 1 play. Wow...Facemask is on Smoot, PI on Bailey, and Holding on Darrell Green. Baldinger apparently wants Ohalete to kick somebody so all the DB's get a flag. Very next play, we get an offsides penalty. I certainly do not miss these Spurrier defense's. Packers score on the very next play. 14-6 GB

*Betts returns the kick to the Redskins 46. 5 min left in the half. Screen pass to Thompson nets 7 yards. 3rd and inches and we go play action pass. Ramsey misses Rod Gardner on a deep pass.

*4th down, Skins go for it, and Ramsey tries to leap over the pile. Baldinger hates the spot...go figure. Turnover on Downs.

*The 3rd and inches play call just sums up Spurrier and his tenure here.

*Green gets tabbed for pass interference. We have had 7 penalties for 97 yards in the first half. Next play, Driver and Green lock up again. Flag is thrown and Green and the crowd think it's PI on him again. He has to be restrained from the official! Loving the passion from Darrel Green here! It's called offensive pass interference on Donald Driver. And guess who's mad....Baldinger. This guy is a blubbering idiot.

*We go into halftime trailing 17-6

*1st packers possession ends when Lavar Arrington forces a fumble. He comes behind the runner and just pokes the ball out. Heads up play from LA!

*1st skins play, Ramsey sends a 47 yard bomb to Derrius Thompson. 1st and goal at the GB 6.

*Ugh....terrible series here in the Red Zone. Ramsey fumble which he recovers, lazy pass to Betts which he wiffs on, and an overthrown ball to Gardner in the end zone.

*Tuthill comes in and bangs the 30 yd. field goal off the left upright. No good! What an endcap!!

*Trotter and Arrington sack Favre. Favre is injured on the play. In comes the backup, Doug Pederson. Favre's day is done.

*Gamebreak - Quincy Carter sends an 80 yd. bomb to rookie Antonio Bryant. Dallas goes on to miss the XP however.

*30 yard Stephen Davis run is brought back by a holding penalty on David Loverne.

*At times, Ramsey looks good. But at the same time, he looks terrible on other plays

*Stephen Davis is a punishing runner! I miss Big Country. 10 yard run by Davis where he runs over 2 packer defenders. Another 10 yard run by Davis brings the Skins to the GB 6 yard line. Davis creeps to the 4 yard line on the next play. 4th straight run by Davis, he gets to the 2. Flag on David Loverne again...holding. Skins forced to kick a FG. Tuthill connects from 31 yards.

*Incredible - 2 drives with first and goal inside the Packer 10 and the Skins walk away with 3 points.

This would be the last time the Redskins score. Halfway through the 3rd quarter. The rest of the way would be Green Bay highlights. Looking at my copy of "The Redskins Chronicle" by Rich Tandler (Great Book BTW) shows me the Skins wind up losing 30 - 9.

How this team ended up going 7-9 is amazing. We used 3 different qb's throughout the year as well as a coach who really had no clue about the NFL. Things might seem bleak now, but I feel much better with the 2009 skins as opposed to the 2002 skins.

This was fun! Feel free to post any other random game thoughts here.

Archived