Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Hotels & Construction: Have you ever had a problem with this?

RedlightG20

Planning a vacation this winter. Looking at Cancun, Mexico.

One place called Dreams Riviera is opening in October. Right now, if I book, I can get a flight from Philly + hotel for 5 nights at around $800.

Sounds great, but my only concern is the fact that it's a new hotel. I've been to a hotel that had just opened, and was still doing construction. It sucked. Also stayed at another hotel in the middle of renovations. That also sucked.

So, have any of you dealt with this before? It will have been about 2 months after opening that I will be going. Should I steer clear and look for a more established place, or do you think it will be ok?

I've stayed at a new hotel before, and had no problems with residual construction. But things may be different in Mexico. The advertised opening date may be more likely to clash with the drawn-out realities of large foreign construction projects.

There should be plenty of great deals at other places in Cancun, if you're worried. Why not pay a few extra bucks and guarantee that you don't learn the same lesson twice? :)

Archived