Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the difference: A look at some numbers

ChiefBigMeat

I had a feeling that the Skins' success this season could be seen through success on 3rd down, keeping the Defense fresh and getting better field position. I was wrong.

Through 4 games, the team is converting on 34 percent vs. 40 percent last year.

Actually, most of the number so far seem pretty close to last season except for two very key factors.

1. QB play. Campbell's rating has gone from 77 to 102. With his accuracy getting to the 65% mark over the 60% level.

2. Turnovers. The Skins have yet to give the ball away this season, running up a +6 ratio through 4 games. They finished at -5 last season, and I'm sure we all remember the big TO drought from our D the last couple seasons.

Why I'm encouraged: I went to the stats expecting one thing, but what I found was even better. In a league with such a small divide between the mediocre teams and the good teams, two of the most crucial factors are Efficient QB play and getting a few points or field position advantage through turnovers.

Why I'm nervous: The pass rush still isn't there (only 6 sacks so far). Hopefully Taylor will be back soon, but even when he was in there I wasn't too confident we could get any pressure on the QB, which is crucial to interrupting the rhythm of an offense. Maybe Blanche is doing the best he can with the personnel he has, but I'm seeing the 'bend-but-don't-break' style that often works, and often makes me bite my nails til they bleed.

My take: Are the Skins as elite as the 'power rankings' are giving them credit for this week? No way. It's the analysts running for cover after kissing Cowboy butt for 8 months.

They appear to be a solid, playoff-caliber team heading in the right direction. Gotta love hearing things like,

"We play to win the game. We're not playing to keep it close," Campbell said. "We just keep attacking. We're not settling."

Coming from your 102-rated QB.

Archived