Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winning the turnover battle

chrisc0015

I searched to see if this was posted already and found nothing, I apologize if it has.

We've all seen the threads comparing the Redskins offensive/defensive NFL ratings to other teams around the league. The Redskins are in the top half of the league in both Offense and Defense, which is relatively good yet deceiving. The Redskins are #1 in the league in turnover differential, with +5. This turnover differential is perhaps one of the most significant statistics in all of football in terms of determining wins/losses.

If the Redskins offense continues their current trend of minimal giveaways and the defense continues their current trend with many takeaways, this team has a good chance of doing well in the playoffs.

Just make a note of this: Dallas drives 60 yards, throws an INT, then has to drive another 80 yards later to get a TD. Meanwhile, the Redskins drive 80 yards for a TD. Both teams get a TD, but Dallas is then rated higher in the NFL's Offensive rankings.

Yards/game means very little. However, I forget the actual statistics... but winning the turnover battle in a given game greatly increases the chances of winning a game.

~60% chance of winning if you're +1 in turnovers, and ~70% chance if you're +2 in turnovers.... (an announcer mentioned this stat during one of our games this season, anyone remember it exactly?)

Here's to hoping that Jason Campbell, the offense and the defense continue winning the turnover battle throughout the season. :cheers:

Archived