Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Run Right When You Can Run Left?

guinnesscrazy

Aside from Zorn's obvious play calling mistakes at the end of the game (seriously? we're down by two scores and on our own 10 yd. line... don't run the ball 2 times in a row! save that for when we have a lead....), I was also very confused about the run plays.

Just like last year, it seemed like when CP followed Samuels and Kendall to the left, a hole would open up and we could exploit it for a 4-8 yd. gain. And, just like last year, whenever we tried to run it up the gut or to Heyer's side, the result would be 0 to -1 yds. per carry.

My question is, if there's a strength (or weakness on the defense) to the left side, why not continue to exploit it? The Giants had no problem passing to Plaxico alllllll game long... why can't we run it to the left all game long? Or at least until it doesn't work anymore?

It seemed like, for every 10 yd. play CP gained going left, he'd have 3 or 4 0 yd. gains going to the right. I understand the reasons for wanting to keep the defense on their heels, but our O-Line just doesn't have good enough blocking for CP to go right. and if it works running left, why not keep doing it.

On a side note, didn't Zorn say before the game that he wanted the pass to set up the run? I don't know how run-run-pass-punt follows that philosophy.

I still have faith in Zorn and hope he learns quickly to rebound from this poor showing. That said, if things continue the way they've gone the last 3 games (including preseason, which, [sarcastic]strangely[/sarcastic] didn't look much different than tonight), I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Danny Boy goes out to get Cowher next year.

8 runs for 57 yards to the left by my count

Hmm, so that's about 68% of CP's total rushing yards. I'd be interested to know the ratio of plays run left vs. right. vs. middle were. It sure looked like he picked up those 57 yds. to the left on 8 or 10 plays while wasting away yards when the coaches sent him on a counter or off-tackle to the right.

Archived