Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions on ABS brand desktops???

Buddha

I'm a Dell man myself but I've been asked to consider ABS for a small office computer. I'd appreciate any first-hand insight as to their reliability, quality, service, etc. before I actually try to spec one out on their website.

Though I have no first hand experience with ABS brand computers, the most important thing to any computer is the quality of components. Everyone knows of pentium chips, but less emphasis is put on the quality of other components such as motherboard, sound and video cards, even the PC case and power supply.....and these parts may have more to do with relaibility than other factors. For the most part though, most of these companies use the same of smiliar parts for equivalent speed machines. As far as serivce though, Dell certainly will offer way more than most other companies. If you have an idea of what your looking for as far as speed, you may want to check the sale papers of Compusa, Bestbuy, because they generally have excellent deals on computers including rebates, with most of the computers being name brand such as Compaq, HP etc and may a better option.

I bought an ABS desktop about 8 months ago. Components are top-notch, well known brands. You can "construct" & they offer latest tech components (when I bought, Rambus RAM was difficult to get....). Nothing proprietary here. Purchase & receipt were smooth & packaging was first class. Best part was the price.

My feeling is that if you're comfortable with PCs & don't need a lot of support, ABS is a perfect fit between building your own & buying the Dell "support" system.

Edit: no service needed so I can't speak to that - obviously quality has been perfect :)

Archived