Extremeskins

They Said It - Quotes from ProFootballWeekly.com

doncherry

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2008/said+041408.htm

Random quotes from around the league

Compiled by Arthur Arkush

April 15, 2008

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Giants QB and Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, quoted on Newsday.com responding to speculation that TE Jeremy Shockey will be traded before next week’s NFL draft: "I've learned in this league that you never know what might happen, but I hope he'll be a New York Giant next year." Manning continued: “We've been playing phone tag the last couple of weeks. Jeremy and I, we haven't reached our potential yet in the tandem we can become and the way we should be playing together. He's a tremendous player and you look at some of the games he had early in the year and some of the plays he had in those games to help us win and even make it into the playoffs, he's a big part of our offense and I think he knows that. I hope he knows that because he helps us out a lot."

Colts president Bill Polian, quick to offer praise for LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, as quoted on Star-Telegram.com: "I saw him last year at his best against Notre Dame when he was healthy, and he's a force. He can do it all. He can stop the run; he can rush the passer; he can beat you one-on-one. I'm not sure there are many people who can win a battle one-on-one against him in pass-protection."

New Buccaneers C Jeff Faine, who signed the richest contract for a center in NFL history, quoted in Florida Today on his excitement to be in Tampa and be reunited with QB Jeff Garcia: "I played with him in Cleveland. We're good friends and have stayed in touch this entire time. He was on the phone with me, right before I signed, just kind of egging me on a little bit. He's a competitor, and I enjoy playing with him. I'm looking forward to Tampa. It should be a good, competitive group."

New Falcons RB Michael Turner, disappointed to not be ready for the start of the first veteran’s minicamp of the spring (Turner is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery but expects to make a full recovery before training camp in July), as quoted in the Macon Telegraph: "Yeah, the first day, everybody wants to see what the big fuss is about. Now, you don't want to miss any day period, but especially not that first day … not when you're a new guy." Turner went on to discuss the challenges he and RB Jerious Norwood hope to provide opposing teams: "We're two different guys, two different styles of running. So you know that's always tough on a defense, they can't just prepare for one guy every week. That's something to throw them off their toes and keep them guessing a bit."

Monday, April 14, 2008

Cal WR DeSean Jackson, addressing the concerns of several NFL scouts who believe that Jackson is a selfish, "me" guy, as quoted on chicagobears.com: " 'Me' guy and selfish? I will never consider myself that. I got to Cal and at first we were losing. I only lost four games total in high school. It was just my competitive edge of adjusting and accepting that. Then doing something about it, which we did at Cal. I was benched for the start of the bowl game because I was late to a team meeting. I was working out with one of my teammates, left for practice, got stuck in traffic and was late. And was benched. That was not easy to accept, but I made the most of it. I am a competitor. That's what I bring to the football field. A very explosive, finesse route runner with great hands and ability to make people miss. Heart. The heart and will to score touchdowns."

Ravens TE Todd Heap, quoted in the Baltimore Sun in response to some critics that believe Heap suffers from a lack of toughness: "I'll be as strong as ever this year. I've heard that some people have questioned my toughness. I don't know who would do that."

Rams executive vice president of player personnel Billy Devaney, very complimentary of Boston College QB Matt Ryan, as quoted in STLtoday: "I like everything about the guy. The intangibles. … The leadership. The intelligence. Being a team guy. This guy has 'it.' Whatever it is to play that position, he's got it. I think this guy is going to be a heck of a player for a long time."

Agent Worrick Robinson, whose clientele includes suspended CB “Pacman” Jones, quoted on Tennessean.com regarding the likelihood of a deal getting done this week that would send Jones to the Cowboys: "I think for both teams, it is important. It will give them a chance to set their draft boards and make adjustments. But both sides are savvy business people and they both have experience in these matters, and they are moving at their own pace. They are not going to let the pace of this be dictated by anyone else. … But the draft is going to influence everything.''

Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano, quoted in The News–Press regarding QB John Beck, and all the extra work Beck has put in during voluntary workouts thus far: "He really does do extra and has been doing it since the day we walked through the door. More importantly, we're trying to get the game to slow down for him. We haven't had as much opportunity as we'd have liked to spend time with him in the meeting room and the classroom right now. But we want to get the game to slow down for him when he gets out to the line of scrimmage. Make it as simple as we can."

Archived