My thoughts on Jim Zorn

Zhouse

1st rounder for Ocho Cinco?  

1,068 members have voted

1. 1. 1st rounder for Ocho Cinco?

• Absolutely
    • No way
    • Probably, as long as we don't lose another 1st or 2nd too

I finally got a chance to watch the press conference last night. Like everyone mentioned, he looked nervous the first few minutes, but then again who wouldn't in those circumstances. I really liked how he didn't try to BS the media, the fans, the ownership and even Joe Gibbs who was sitting in the room. He was very humble. His answers were (I thought) straightforward.

Throughout the coaching search, I was saying "Danny should look to bring in a leader." Well duh! Right? From what I see in Zorn, he seems to be a very creative type leader. He mentioned delegating in his press conference. A true leader will know when you take the lead but also when you let other take over and empower. I think this fits very well with the team Joe Gibbs II has put together; a group of players with character, respect for each other and the coaching staff and a great bond. Zorn will not have a hard time trying to get his message across to each of the players. I think he will do a great job as a head coach (without x's and o's) in trying to keep the team together and not divided. The players will respect him. That's what I primarily wanted in a head coach. Not his previous record or the "sexy pick". But someone with leadership quality and is hungry for a chance.

When is comes to the x's and o's, he knows his stuff. And he made it clear to everyone that his expertise is in the offense and not the defense. When asked about the defense, he quickly left that up to Greg Blache. (Again, this exemplifies his leadership quality). He genuinely gets excited talking about the offense. Already looking at the small details the team could improve on (see: Rabach's butt being too low :laugh:). You can tell the guy knows which direction he wants to be heading with our offense. All in all, I'm very excited about the hiring of Jim Zorn as I read and find our more about the man.

Maybe Dan Snyder (while going through his long search of a HC) didn't plan for this to happen until Thursday of last week, or maybe he did. But whatever the case, I like the move. They say luck favors those that are prepared. And that could the case here. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you on your feelings man! At first I was a little shocked - but after listening to the press conference I felt extremely confident because of things he said. He seems to possess great passion and like Joe Gibbs always says, "People who enjoy what they do inevitably do it well."

I was impressed with his evaluation of the tape and his feelings on getting the center to adjust his snap rather than put the QB in an uncomfortable stance. Based on much of what was said throughout the interview he looks to be very detail oriented when it comes to the mechanics of football.

I also think he will mesh just fine with the other coaches based on how he plans on putting trust in his staff, allowing him to work more hands on with players like Campbell in learning the new passing game. His comments on Portis were on point so you can tell he really did watch tape since being here. Also liked how he didn't feel there was a need to reconstruct the running game, and will leave the verbiage and plays the same. This makes less of a learning curve for the players this off season.

I'm happy this wasn't a flashy hire, Dan saw Zorn possessed the right traits, and wasn't just attracted to a big name like in the past. It's a different side of Dan, and I do believe he's changed and it acting more like an owner and less like an impatient and overzealous fan.

Archived