Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So ends the era...

jkalnasy

So it ends, the era of Gibbs, but more importantly, the era of legendary coaches. The coaches of old, the icons, prior to today's game. Prior to million dollar contracts, excessive celebration penalties, and unheard of scandals.

With Gibbs finally leaving, we once again close that book, that for a moment while he was here, was fun to read again. He brought back hope, perseverance and stability to the fans. In 2004 we were greatly treated to his return, and to say these past seasons weren't a treat as well would be a great understatement. As fans, we were frustrated with being such a joke for so long, and with Gibbs returning, we were at least respected. Over the course of the Gibbs II era, our foundation was slowly rebuilt and tested. We found that pride again which was once lost. But with Gibbs saying farewell, we have to unfortunately finish this chapter and close that book once more.

The reign of Gibbs was triumphant the first time around and respected the second. I'm sure this was a hard move on his behalf, but finally he can rest knowing his fans appriciate him just as much as ever.

So I for one will miss those seldom smiles after winning a hard fought game Joe manages to keep back. I will miss those exciting press conferences after a huge win where you know Gibbs is just fired up. Hell, I'll even miss those good old Gibbs sayings like, "The good lord sure blessed us with a great group of guys..."

In an era where coaches not winning superbowls within their tenure of a certain team is the norm, we hope and pray this comes to an end. It's been a long time since a team has been a dominating force, much like those in the 70's and 80's. Gibbs was the last reminder of these times, and I for one, loved every minute of these last few seasons, which shed an old light on a new field. When times were tough, it was easy to criticize, but hard to doubt Joe Gibbs. After all, we owe him everything for what he's accomplished in our name.

Hail to the Redskins!

:logo::logo::logo:

Archived