Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will History Repeat Itself, 20 Years Later?

Execution56

The 'Skins are definitely on a winnable path... it is not like we are playing in the top heavy AFC. We are 2-4 against NFC playoff foes (all loses were 7 points or less and three were on the road). We avenged two of those losses in dominant fashion already.

I am not going to make any excuses on why we lost but I like our chances this time around, even in Seattle. I just don't see Coach Gibbs losing to Holmgren in back to back playoff appearances. The Metrodome is rated the second loudest stadium in the NFL (behind Quest Field) and we did just fine.

A little nostalgic comparison:

Back in 1984, the Redskins lost at home to the Chicago Bears in our first playoff game. We missed the playoffs in 1985 while the Bears, as we all know, won it. In 1986, the defending champion 14-2 Bears were a double digit favorite over our 12-4 'Skins, at Soldier Field, for the divisional playoff round. The Bears dominated the first half but only led 13-7, at the half. In the second half, the 'Skins came back hard and put on a performance I will never forget sending us to the NFC championship game with a 27-13 victory. We lost to the G-Men, 17-0 in the next game, but we had a chance..

Furthermore, we met the Bears, once again at Soldier Field, the following year (1987) in the divisional playoff round and defeated them again, 21-17, this time aided by a spectacular punt return TD by Darrell Green on our way to winning our second SB. We were a 7 point underdog in this game. During this SB run, Jay Schroeder started (about the same percentage of games as Jason Campbell) and was replaced by Doug Williams midseason.

All I am saying is that Coach Gibbs has been down this road before, and history always has a way of repeating itself. We all know that Coach Gibbs has a bust in Canton, Ohio, and has won 3 SB's with three different QB's. We have a great opportunity to "possibily" make it number FOUR with a 4th different QB, under similar circumstances of a mid to late season QB change and hopefully defeating a familiar playoff foe.

Not to mention, ARE played on the last team to win three playoff games on the road and win a super bowl. Is it a coincidence? Maybe not.. Everything happens for a reason.

Food for thought... Happy New Year! :cheers:

:seahawksu

Archived