Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

great article in todays miami herald......

hogfat

UM family mourns Taylor

Posted on Tue, Dec. 04, 2007

Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

function PopupPic(sPicURLx, sHeight, sWidth) { var sPicURL = "/615/v-morephotos/story/330960.html"; y=Math.floor((screen.availHeight-sHeight)/2); x=Math.floor((screen.width-sWidth)/2); window.open(sPicURL,"slideshow","width="+sWidth+",height="+sHeight+",top="+y+",left="+x+",scrollbars=auto,resizable=yes").focus(); } 738Redskins_Taylor_Slain_Funeral_Football.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

David Adame / AP Photo

Arizona Cardinals football player Antrel Rolle speaks to reporters as he arrives at the funeral of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor at Florida International University Monday Dec. 3, 2007 in Miami.

» More Photos

They walked one by one, side by side, into Florida International University's Pharmed Arena -- well scrubbed, well dressed and pensive.

Jonathan Vilma. Reggie Wayne. Edgerrin James. Phillip Buchanon. Antrel Rolle.

Jon Beason. Frank Gore. Andre Johnson. Roscoe Parrish. Devin Hester.

Greg Olsen. Jeremy Shockey. Bubba Franks. Chris Myers. Buck Ortega.

Javon Nanton. Ethenic Sands. Santana Moss. Vernon Carey. Clinton Portis.

And so on, and so on.

Dozens of former University of Miami football players and coaches converged in Miami on Monday to remember Sean Taylor, their fallen teammate and UM brother who died last Tuesday from a gunshot wound.

''Bryan Pata, Kevin Everett, Sean . . . We've had it rough recently,'' said Buffalo Bills wide receiver Parrish, who came to UM with Taylor in 2001. ``It's a tough experience for all of us when things like this happen. We're a unit. We're the U. We're family. If something happens to anybody, they've got all our support.''

Parrish, accompanied by Chicago Bears sensation Hester, couldn't get over the way Taylor died: in his home, his girlfriend and 18-month-old daughter hiding under the covers in the same room.

'For something like this to happen, and the way it happened -- he was at his house in his bed with his family. It's crazy. It makes you be like, `Wow.' You have to be careful out there and watch your surroundings. It wasn't like he was at a club or anything. He was at his home. That's the most scary part about it.''

Former Taylor teammate Ethenic Sands, 27, another native Miamian who now lives in Fort Myers and plays for the Arena Football League's Florida Firecats, said he wants the insanity to stop.

''Another one of our brothers cut short,'' Sands said. ``Life goes on, but we have to start putting the guns away.''

Former UM running backs coach Don Soldinger knew Taylor and his father, Pedro ''Pete'' Taylor, from Sean's childhood days. When Taylor got to UM in 2001, Soldinger coached him on special teams and developed a bond that continued until his death.

'HAPPY' MEMORY

''I was just at the Pro Bowl in February,'' Soldinger said. ``Frankie [Gore] flew [wife] Phyllis and I out. We took pictures on the field with him and Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson. Sean was calm, having a good time, at peace. The baby must have really helped. He seemed so happy.

``He was a native son of Miami with the world at his feet. It's like your gut churns. I felt like throwing up, really.''

Larry Coker, Taylor's UM head coach, said he, too, was sick.

''It's tragic,'' Coker lamented.

``Sean had become such a fine individual. He was taken away too soon. He had a wonderful little daughter and a good relationship with a fine young lady. Too many of these [funerals], too many of them. Death and a senseless murder.''

PAINFUL SITUATION

Added former UM defensive end Javon Nanton: ``Pata last year. Him this year. It hurts.''

Current coach Randy Shannon, accompanied by busloads of current Canes, spoke during the funeral of Sean's devotion to football and how he was fierce on the field and loving off it. 'When you look up the word `family' you'll see Sean Taylor smiling in the dictionary,'' Shannon said. ``You'll see his picture with that beautiful smile he has. That was Sean. . . . He was family.''

UM athletic director Paul Dee described the funeral as ``a magnificent tribute. I'm so pleased in the way our players support each other, both present and former.''

FIU athletic director Pete Garcia recruited Taylor when Garcia was at UM as a Butch Davis assistant. ''We're very happy to do this for the family,'' Garcia said. ``Sean Taylor belongs to everybody in South Florida.''

One of Taylor's closest friends, former Gulliver Prep teammate and UM teammate Buck Ortega, made thousands of funeral-goers laugh -- and cry -- as he dissolved into tears.

He told stories of their teenage and college years: spearfishing, hurdling over opponents, missing curfew, driving around for food.

''I talked to my mom this week,'' Ortega said, an excruciatingly long pause followed by a cracking voice.

``She was saying she remembered Sean's shy smile and how he had a baby face. I remember for his senior picture, Pete made him take out his braids and shave his face and he looked like he was about 12.

``. . . The only thing I regret is that when he did go to Washington we kind of lost touch . . . and it really lets you know to never take friends and loved ones for granted.

``Being such good friends with Sean and [from] a lot of the conversations I had with him, I can draw one positive thing from this situation: Sean had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and I know I will see my friend again one day in heaven.

``God bless you Sean. I love you.''

Archived