Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free agency vs. the draft and our OL

Hauss

Right now, I feel that we should use free agency to help the offense and three out of the the first four rounds of the draft for the defense. I think the best value in free agency is potentially at the guard position. Mo Collins, Randy Thomas and Zach Piller are potential free agents. We should go after one or two of them in free agency. They will all be 27 next year and are good players. Samuels will be 26, Jansen 27, and Moore 28--with Jones, Sulfsted, Brown, Smith and Tre backing up. By signing Tre-we may only need to sign one. The last 2 games of the season the best running was done behind Tre and Jansen. Collins and Piller played for Spurrier at Florida and they have been successful in the NFL. To add another offensive lineman or two to that mix, I would a use a late round draft pick, a post June 1st release and/or an undrafted free agent. The Giants scored a lot of points this season behind 3 OLs who came into the league as undrafted free agents.

I think our free agency pursuits should center on the OL and a WR --I don't want to overpay for a DT or DE in free agency--I just don't see the value there. I will have to scour the list for a free safety--but at this time- I don't see real quality help. W also need to sign Gardener saving one of our own along with Thompson (reasonable price) and Tre.

I feel our first 4 picks of the draft should be ( in no specific order since I don't know who will drop or be gone) focused on a DT, DE, FS and a WR. The DL really needs to be addressed. We will have a soon to be 40 year old DE--who I want back as a situational player--his backup who will be rehabbing--Gardener , who is terrific but whose back could go out--a vacany when Big Daddy is released--two backups-who play their roles well in Cowsette and Campbell and need to be brought back-Wynn who picked up his game at the end of the season and Barnard Jackson. There is a lot of value to fill DL positions in the first 2 rounds of the draft--especially a few guys who play with a high motor. When Big Daddy leaves and we added a DT and DE with the above listed players--we would have a solid line.

I'll buy that Hauss. :)

Assuming we sign a starting WR and guard in free agency, I would draft the following:

1 - DT - William Joseph, Miami

I also like DE Terrell Suggs, but he probably will be gone. :(

2 - DE - not sure who will still be available.

3 - QB - assuming Rex Grossman is here.

4 - FS

6- G

7- WR - speedy wr

7- RB/PR - speedy third down back, punt returner

Then sign a free agent veteran kicker and punter. I don't want any more rookies learning on our time and screwing up. We have had enough of that over the last 5 years. :(

Archived