Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joey Harrington in Atlanta

nebster21

This gave me a few good laughs. Figured it would be a good way to give the hard core football stories a break.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070829/SPORTS01/70829057/1049/SPORTS01

Gay fans back Joey Harrington in Atlanta

August 29, 2007

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

After a good first game, many fans in Atlanta are content with Joey Harrington so far.

Outsports.com, a sports news Web site that covers news and analysis about homosexual social issues, interviewed some Atlanta fans about the ex-Lion and new Falcons starter at quarterback.

Advertisement

Harrington, 28, married wife Emily during this past off-season.

A sampling of their comments:

• "I'm excited about the season and yes, I find Harrington attractive. Who wouldn't?" says Gregory Hendricks, a gay Falcons fan in Atlanta. "Even my gay friends who don't like football, they like him. All of my friends who hate sports, once they see him they say, 'Hey, I'll go to a game to see him.' "

• Jonathan Karron, a season ticket holder for 15 years: "I've been through the good and bad with the Falcons. I've stuck with them through thick and thin. I want someone to help the team, not a hunk. It would be great to have both. But if you watch football, you want the players to perform. You don't watch because the players are hot. Maybe the Falcons will provide a clean slate for him. I am hoping they have some talent around him. I have my fingers crossed. I am always the optimist. I am hoping he can return to some of that college form."

• Mike Horton, a gay football fan in Atlanta who roots for the New England Patriots, says Harrington may change his perspective and prompt him to give the Falcons a second look: "It's interesting what an extreme opposite Harrington is to our previous quarterback. I like the fact that he's suave and polished, but boy, is he pretty. I think I might try to make a few more games this year."

• Brian Johnson, a gay University of Georgia graduate who lives in Atlanta, is "primarily a college football fan - 99%," but the "other 1% is saved for Joey Harrington and the Falcons. ... "I'm a Falcons fan only because I was born and raised here," he said. "But I wouldn't say I get upset when they lose. Harrington is hot. He is much better looking than Michael Vick, much easier on the eyes and the dogs."

After Michael Vick's legal troubles, the Falcons were left with Harrington as their starting quarterback.

Harrington already has lost starting jobs in Detroit and Miami. His introduction to home fans was positive Monday night when he passed for two touchdowns in an exhibition against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Harrington was the third overall pick in the 2002 draft, one year after Vick was the top pick. The 28-year-old started 11 games for Miami last year following four rocky seasons in Detroit.

Archived