Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats for tackles

yank

Another thread was comparing Trotter vs Mitchell at MLB and lately I've been wondering about some kind of stat for yards gained per tackle. I've seen years where some linebacker gets tons of tackles - mostly about 8 yards down field. The tackles only stat says nothing about how the player is getting pushed around and still manages to make the tackle.

I suppose there could be dis-incentive for hustling to make a play downfield - like Ekuban did on Betts yesterday. I would hope that wouldnt happen and that coaches would sit players who they saw werent hustling. I would definitely not have any ties to bonus money.

It could only be used for comparison between players that play the same position (DL, LB and DB). The DL should have a lower number than DB for instance.

I know the coaches grade each player for each play but thats rarely published. I just know that there is such a thing as "good" tackles vs. the "i got my butt kicked and manged to fall in front of him downfield" or the "i was out of position and should have stuffed the guy" tackles.

This kind of stat might also diminish some of the great tackling work we've seen from Helton's OL. Since they're not tackling the ball-carrier, their tackling can't be quantified by yardage -- unless you just total up the holding calls. But certainly when you're talking great Redskin tacklers, you start with the OL and guys like Loverne, Wilbert Brown and Moore.

I just dont think you always did something right when you make a tackle. Tackles for loss are certainly better than "oh **** my guy got behind me" catch-up tackles. Tackles for a 5 yard loss are better than a three yard gain, (or a 1 yard loss for that matter) etc.

A tackle is better than not - no doubt - but its like saying that a rush for any positive yardage is always a good play. There are shades of gray and over the course of the season I would think that some sort of black and white would emerge.

Some statistical work could eliminate the disincentive for tackles way downfield for the DL or LBs.

Archived