Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Houston Chronicle: "McCardell joins hometown team"

Dead Money

Of some interest to skins fans since the team worked him out earlier. I always hated that he didn't work out here and had a pretty good career while we struggled with wrs during that entire span.

McCardell joins hometown team

Veteran receiver agrees to one-year deal with Texans

By JOHN MCCLAIN

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

For the first time since he left Houston to play at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, receiver Keenan McCardell is going to play for his hometown team.

McCardell, 37, agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans on Thursday. He will sign the $860,000 deal today and be on the practice field with his new teammates for the start of training camp.

"I think the Texans are building something good, and I want to be part of it," said McCardell, who played quarterback at Waltrip High School. "I considered several offers, but playing for the Texans just feels right.

"I know my family's really going to enjoy me playing here."

McCardell will compete with veteran Kevin Walter and rookie Jacoby Jones for the starting job opposite Andre Johnson.

"I'm a professional who takes a lot of pride in his work ethic," he said. "I like to work with young receivers. I bring a lot of experience and leadership to the team. I've been on winning teams, so I understand what it takes to win."

McCardell has taken a circuitous route back to his hometown, but he has been on a playoff team during every stop.

As Washington's 12th-round pick in 1991, McCardell got a Super Bowl ring though he spent the season on injured reserve.

After he was waived, he played four years at Cleveland.

In 1995, McCardell considered signing with the Oilers but opted for Jacksonville, where he surpassed the 1,000-yard mark in receiving in four of his six seasons with the Jaguars.

At Jacksonville, McCardell played on two teams that reached the AFC title game.

After becoming a salary-cap casualty, McCardell signed with Tampa Bay and won a Super Bowl ring. He played the last three years with San Diego. The Chargers finished a league-best 14-2 last season.

"I've been fortunate to be around winners ever since I came into the league," said McCardell, who has 861 catches for 11,117 yards in his career.

Though coach Gary Kubiak spoke with McCardell several times, the receiver rejected the Texans until Thursday.

McCardell's last 1,000-yard season came in 2003, his final season with the Buccaneers. He had 84 catches for 1,174 yards and eight TDs that year.

For the full article click here

Archived