Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Return man on someone elses practice squad?

DeathByLinebacker

On the radio tonite Spurrier said that they might sign someone off of someone elses practice squad who was a very good punt returner in college. He wouldn't say who it was because it's not a done deal yet.

Anyone have any idea who it might be? I don't think it's a Gator since the Eagles have Lito Sheppard and we already have Gillespie.

The punt returner we will sign is none other than...

AARON LOCKETT

He's currently on San Francisco's practice squad where we mined Thunderfoot Jarrett, and played for K-State along with Rock Cartwright. He's too small to be a WR but was one of the fastest players in the 2002 draft and is an EXPERIENCED punt returner.

Mark my words...this is the guy that will replace Hands Bailey.

Just dug up some college stats on him...

In 2000, Lockett had 22 punt returns for 501 yards and three touchdowns (22.8-yard average) to lead the nation. In 2001, he returned 14 kickoffs for 397 yards (28.4 yard average) and one touchdown and 32 punts for 344 yards (10.8 yard average).

Can't think of a better player to fit the role of "punt returner signed from someone else's practice squad." Plus he might be an interesting player to introduce into the receiver mix in camp next year.

We have a return guy on our practice squad - Gillespie. He returned kicks at UF. He has great moves - a breakaway threat. I don't know why SOS hasn't promoted him off the practice squad to fill the open roster spot.

I'd much rather have him back there returning kicks than Champ who could end up getting hurt and leaving us thin at CB.

I think it would be great to pick up a PR from someone else's Practice Squad. But I wouldn't stop there. If we have a slot or two available on our roster there are several promising players to choose from:

- DT Nate Dwyer, Cardinals

- DT Mario Monds (remember him?), Bengals

- OG Chad Ward, Browns

- OG/OT Tarlos Thomas, Houston

Nice to hear that we're at least thinking about it ... but I'd rather that SOS and Company kept their big mouths shut and do it quickly and quietly.

HTTR!

Originally posted by GatorEye

We have a return guy on our practice squad - Gillespie. He returned kicks at UF. He has great moves - a breakaway threat. I don't know why SOS hasn't promoted him off the practice squad to fill the open roster spot.

I'd much rather have him back there returning kicks than Champ who could end up getting hurt and leaving us thin at CB.

I agree. Putting Watson and Betts back there right now is stupid. I'm all for Skaggs and Gillespie.

I really don't think Gillespie is that great of a player. I used to cringe when Spurrier would sub him in for Graham at UF. He simply could never break a tackle and averaged about a yard less per carry than Graham. He wasn't much of a return man either. The one thing he did excel at was catching passes out of the backfield. (41 receptions for 445 yards in 2001).

He only had 62 yards on 2 kickoffs in 2001. In fact, he only returned 17 kicks in his career at UF with 10 during his freshman year.

Originally posted by SwankGator

I really don't think Gillespie is that great of a player. I used to cringe when Spurrier would sub him in for Graham at UF. He simply could never break a tackle and averaged about a yard less per carry than Graham. He wasn't much of a return man either. The one thing he did excel at was catching passes out of the backfield. (41 receptions for 445 yards in 2001).

He only had 62 yards on 2 kickoffs in 2001. In fact, he only returned 17 kicks in his career at UF with 10 during his freshman year.

Simply never break a tackle? Man did you ever WATCH a UF game? He has great moves.

First - he ranks 10th on UF's all purpose yardage list. I wouldn't say that's any small feat.

Second - you're stating he has a 31 yard average on kickoff returns. Yeah I can see why we wouldn't want that.

Third - he averaged less than Graham because he was used more as a third down back catching balls out of the backfield than a between the tackles type guy.

Honestly I don't know why SOS didn't give him more of a chance. Here's the reaction after an early preseason game:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11971

Yes, I have watched every UF game since my freshman year in 1990 and some before that. Gillespie has some speed and moves, but he simply never broke many tackles. Graham was a much better runner and it showed in the statistics.

Graham: 125 carries, 650 yards, 5.2 avg.

Gillespie: 94 carries, 395 yards, 4.2 avg.

In games where Gillespie started due to Graham's injury, he managed a whopping:

4 yards on 12 attempts (Auburn)

21 yards on 9 attempts (Tennessee)

Gillespie's strong point was catching passes out of the backfield. But since the Skins are searching for a return man, let us focus on return statistics for a moment. Saying that he is a good return man due to a 31 yard average per return is fine until you look at one stat -- 2 attempts. Two attempts is statistically meaningless. Oh, I almost forgot. He never returned a punt in college. I would pick Gillespie in one situation -- if it was either him or Champ. At least Robert would catch the damn ball.

I may be going out a limb here, but I believe Jon Capel is on KC's practic squad. For those that don't know he was the fastest WR ever to play for SOS and return punts occasionally too. He was in the 2000 olympics where in the trials he ran a sub 20.00 in the 200. He was expected to take home the gold in that event, but he muffed the start. Chicago drafted him, and now, like I said, he's with KC I think. Lightning speed is the only way to describe him. He concentrated on track as much as football so that might've had a lot to do with why he didn't shine under SOS. who knows.

Actually, I looked for Jon Capel on KC's roster (which includes practice squad) the other day and he wasn't there. I thought of the Olympian too.

Anyway, the team brought up 2 guys from our practice squad yesterday to fill our 2 empty spots so I don't think this is going to go down. One of the guys we did bring up is Bruce Branch.

Originally posted by SwankGator

I would pick Gillespie in one situation -- if it was either him or Champ. At least Robert would catch the damn ball.

Thank you for making my point!!!! Why not have Gillespie on the roster to return punts when you had roster spots open instead of rotting away on the practice squad? He can't do worse than Champ and if he gets injured, we don't lose our best starting CB - it makes no sense!

Originally posted by SwampSkin

I may be going out a limb here, but I believe Jon Capel is on KC's practic squad. For those that don't know he was the fastest WR ever to play for SOS and return punts occasionally too. He was in the 2000 olympics where in the trials he ran a sub 20.00 in the 200. He was expected to take home the gold in that event, but he muffed the start. Chicago drafted him, and now, like I said, he's with KC I think. Lightning speed is the only way to describe him. He concentrated on track as much as football so that might've had a lot to do with why he didn't shine under SOS. who knows.

Excellent point - I remember watching that race. I know he was devastated as he could have easily won. If he isn't on KC's squad now - where is he?

Did he give up track and field completely? I though he left UF football to concentrate on track.

Archived