Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: NFC's burning personnel questions

RedskinsSuperBowl21

NFC EAST

DALLAS COWBOYS

Should Marion Barber replace Julius Jones as the feature back?

Barber's tough, physical running style makes him an ideal runner in the Cowboys' power offense and he should be better than Jones over the course of a 16-game season. After rushing for over 90 or more yards in five of the first seven contests, Jones only rushed for over 100 yards once and failed to gain over 75 yards in the remaining contests. His declining production over the course of the season is a concern and one of the reasons why changing their roles makes the most sense.

NEW YORK GIANTS

How do the Giants replace Tiki Barber's production?

Tiki Barber accounted for over 40 percent of the Giants total offense last season and had rushed for over 1,500 yards in three consecutive seasons. Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns will fill the void in the running game. Their running game shouldn't miss a beat, but replacing Barber in the passing game will be the biggest problem. He was the team's third-leading receiver last season and a major part of their passing attack throughout his career. New offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride favors a one-back set featuring three and four receivers, so expect Sinorice Moss and Steve Smith to see more balls head in their direction to ease the loss of Barber.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Can the Eagles continue to be a high-powered offense without a big-name receiver?

After Donovan McNabb was injured last season, they relied more on running back Brian Westbrook. His emergence as a runner forced defenses to put eight defenders in the box, which created big play opportunities in the passing game even though there was no classic No. 1 wideout. Reggie Brown and Hank Baskett quietly averaged over 17 yards per reception and combined for 29 receptions over 20 yards. Throw in tight end L.J. Smith and free-agent signee Kevin Curtis and the Eagles will be OK.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

How will the addition of LaRon Landry improve the Redskins weak pass rush?

Landry teams with Pro Bowler Sean Taylor to give the Skins arguably the best safety tandem in the NFL. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves to bring pressure from all angles and now has more options with Landry and Taylor possessing the same set of skills in the back end. Each can play in the deep middle of the field and both are skilled blitzers off the edge. Williams is a disciple of Buddy Ryan and Jeff Fisher, who both used the "46" defense extensively to pressure the quarterback. With the addition of Landry and the increased confidence in their corners -- Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot -- the Redskins will increase their sack totals by relying on exotic blitzes instead of sitting back in conventional coverage.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/05/10/personnel.questions/index.html

But is springs going to be there? Or Taylor for that matter. If this whole defense is based on Springs being there, skins may be in trouble again.

I would ask Springs again would he take a paycut, than ask if he still wants to play for the team or NFL, than I'd ask him does he have a wife/kid, than I'd ask if he wants to pack his SH** and move out of town and relocate all that.

He needs to take less....he didnt show for OTA's, he has been riddled with ailments the past few seasons and now that we have levarage where we really might not desperately need him can he meet us half way??? We can re-sign more important guys but its clear he doesnt give a damn about us at all so....pack his stuff.... thats an early cancer attitude.

I would ask Springs again would he take a paycut, than ask if he still wants to play for the team or NFL, than I'd ask him does he have a wife/kid, than I'd ask if he wants to pack his SH** and move out of town and relocate all that.

He needs to take less....he didnt show for OTA's, he has been riddled with ailments the past few seasons and now that we have levarage where we really might not desperately need him can he meet us half way??? We can re-sign more important guys but its clear he doesnt give a damn about us at all so....pack his stuff.... thats an early cancer attitude.

Thats just stupid, the man has a contract, he has been injured and played through it and done everything asked of him, Bottom line is that unless we give a new contract that is better for him why should he resign? as for OTA's hopefully he has been healing up.

I almost crapped myself when I read SI giving a fair assesment on the Skins D, especially when the fashionable thing to do is dump all over them right now. Don't worry, I'm sure Peter King and Co. will get Bucky fired soon enough.

*How can he say that Droughns and Jacobs means the Giants run game won't miss a beat? Neither can do an outside run effectively, and NY's offensive line is older and lost some key guys.

Archived