WP: Jansen Contract Poposal Received

Hauss

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47546-2002Dec12.html

Redskins Notebook

Jansen Contract Proposal Received

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, December 13, 2002; Page D07

The Washington Redskins received a new contract proposal in recent days from the representative for right tackle Jon Jansen, an attempt to jump-start the stalled negotiations on a multiyear extension for the prospective free agent.

Club officials also have opened negotiations on a contract extension with another potential unrestricted free agent, defensive tackle Daryl Gardener. Those talks apparently have produced little progress, but both sides seem intent upon continuing to try to complete a deal.

Redskins officials have not fully evaluated the proposal they received from Jansen's agent, Rick Smith, and have not responded, sources close to the situation said. Talks with Jansen broke down in late October and have been at a standstill, with the Redskins intent upon signing him to a long-term deal worth about $4 million per year and Jansen seeking a contract extension worth approximately $5 million a year.

If they are unable to agree to an extension with Jansen, the Redskins are prepared to use their transition-player tag to keep him, according to sources. That would give them the right to match any contract offer he receives from another team on the free agent market and retain him.

Gardener signed a one-year, $775,000 contract with the Redskins in July after being released by the Miami Dolphins, but now is seeking a far more lucrative multiyear deal. He has been one of the team's top defensive players, and could end up as one of the club's few Pro Bowl selections.

The two sides appear to have significant differences on the financial terms of a long-term deal, but are in the early stages of deliberations. The NFL's free agent signing period begins in early March, and Gardener has vowed to re-sign with the Redskins.

"I'm cautiously optimistic that Daryl will be a Redskin," said Gardener's agent, Neil Schwartz. "I'm hoping that things will work out."

Jackson Cut

The Redskins released wide receiver Willie Jackson yesterday. Jackson was signed by the Redskins on Oct. 31 after he was released by the Atlanta Falcons, and team officials were hopeful that he would become a solid contributor. He played for Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida, and had 81 catches for the New Orleans Saints last season.

But he had only seven catches in five games for the Redskins and was on the inactive list for last Sunday's loss to the New York Giants. He failed to revive a career that sagged when he clashed with the coaching staff in Atlanta over his lack of playing time, and he became the third former Gators wideout to be cut by the Redskins this year, following Reidel Anthony and Jacquez Green.

Spurrier said he will get young wide receiver Justin Skaggs into his first NFL game on Sunday at Philadelphia, playing at least on special teams.

"We just felt like we were going to play Justin Skaggs," Spurrier said. "Willie is a nine-year vet. We felt like we'd free him up and hopefully he'll get picked up by another team, and go from there.'' . . .

Quarterback Shane Matthews said he doesn't plan to retire following the season, but realizes that his stay with the Redskins probably is over. His contract expires following the season, and Matthews said he knows he will likely be elsewhere next season.

"I'm sure I'll play another two or three years . . . [but] I wouldn't think it would be here, no," Matthews said. "It's just a gut feeling. There are no hard feelings. That's just the way I feel."

The Redskins apparently will give serious consideration to re-signing quarterback Danny Wuerffel as a backup to Patrick Ramsey next season, but seem prepared to allow Matthews to leave. Matthews started seven games but was benched twice by Spurrier, his former college coach.

"It's disappointing, but what can you do?" said Matthews, who signed in April as a free agent after being released by the Chicago Bears. "I'm not questioning my decision at all, but things didn't work out the way we'd hoped.'' . . .

Linebacker LaVar Arrington dislocated a finger yesterday but said he plans to be in the lineup Sunday.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

All I want for Christmas is a couple of contract extensions. Jansen and Gardener have been a couple of our bright spots in what was a relatively dark year. We've come to expect it from Jon, but Daryl has been a very pleasant surprise. Come on...get the deal done.:toilet:

to maintain credibility with fans and players on the team who come back, I think the club has to find a way to resign players that go out and perform for the team.

it is all well and good to add high profile players to fill one or two slots when you are close, but developing and resigning your own is how most of the good teams have gotten to were they are.

Teams like the 49ers and Eagles that were in the toilet back in '99 when the Skins were in the playoffs have reversed their fortunes, and most if not all of that is due to improvement from within.

Archived