Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Look at the D and a few other things Post draft

StevieInferior

Interesting draft. It's obvious that the Skins went for BPE and not need, esp. in the first. Given the available DL, they probably got the most value out of six although they are probably worse off as a team in the short run.

Landry is definitely a luxury, but if Taylor comes off his semi-slump, Smoot acclimates to being back home, Rogers realizes his talent, and Landry is as good as advertised, that's a heck of a secondary with a healthy Springs and Macklin for the dime. Our secondary has better depth at S and CB than last year, but you have to say that for now it is a solid secondary that could be really good if things fall in place.

It's obvious from this draft and FA that the Skins are content with their DL. Williams and Blache are on record as saying that our turnover and pass rush issues come from having to rush three at times to help out in the secondary. Not sure whether I fully believe that. But when you get back healthy Griff/Marcus and hope that Carter continues from where he left off, things may not be as bad as they may appear. (Kudos to the coaching staff if they are right about this. Cause if they correctly recognized this they showed their worth by not overeacting in the draft and FA).

Lets us not underestimate that we got two steady, possibly solid, DTs that contributed last year. The team still needs a stud DT as Golston and Montgomery are probably best used as rotational players. The LBs are interesting picks. Sartz seems to be one of those guys that's around the ball. You can never have enough of those. Given his height, perhaps he can fill into a situation pass rusher. He is a quote from a friend who is a diehard USC fan:

He's a solid player that always seems to be around the ball. He doesn't make spectacular hits-- but he's the guy that will get you the 3rd and 3 stop when you need it ... I think he's "coachable" at the next level.

We'll see I guess. As for Blades, first glance makes him seem like someone to groom behind Feltcher. He seems to have the same attitude and body build. Who knows what becomes of him after a year or two, but for now we should probably hope that he is a solid special teamer and hopefully a situational player on D who can be ready to step in if Fletch goes down. Lets also not underestimate what we will get out of Marshall. Not only will he be an experienced backup to Fletch, but he also will have the ability to contribute in his more naturual OLB position.

So all in all, minus any moves, we are going to have to go into the season with the same DL as last year. Personally, I would call Carolina to see if something can be worked out for Jenkins. But caution is warranted. Why would a team trade a 27 yo stud DT. Somtething is up. Assuiming no other moves, the key to improvement from our base DL rush is a healthy Griff and Carter playing all year like he did the final six last year. However, looking at the roster GW is going to try and scheme his way into improving the pass rush with a deeper secondary that will allow him to rush Washington as a 3rd down DE and blitz from the LB postion with the occasional "trick" blitz off the edge with Springs/Rodgers or from the safety spot. We'll see, it's a new year!

Lets see what rookie free agency brings us. Skins have had a few finds in RFA, so lets keep our fingers crossed. It can not hurt us to bring in competition on the DL. But I worry about our OL depth. Hopefully we can find some depth behind our starters as our tackles and guards are getting up there and there really is no one behind our starters to step in after injury. The lack of a possession WR worries me.

As for the other two picks. I know nothing about Palmer, but I like the philosophy of the pick. How can you fault the pick of a project QB in the sixth? Such a philosophy has gotten us talents like Ryp, Green, and Humphries in the past. Perhaps, and more likely, Palmer will just be another Husak. But I do not fault the thought behind the pick. Personally I would have taken a chance on Chris Leak here, but perhaps Gibbs/Saunders see something in Palmer. We'll see. I hope that his spells then end of Collins and that Palmer is not a practice squader. Although a year in Europe won't hurt him. I would have liked to have seen a depth pickup on the OL in the 7th, but perhaps there was no talent that won't be there in RFA. But if Eckler can be a good blocking TE, we know how important that can be in a JG offense. Sounds like he was injured, so perhaps he is one of those better than 7th round talent that fell due to injury. I like taking risks on players like that. Not worried about his lack of pass catching skills given Cooley and Betts our of the backfield.

So we'll see. There is a lot of disagreement about the state of the Skins and our draft. But we can all agree on two things:

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS :logo: :point2sky

And

EFF DALLAS!!! :dallasuck

:cheers:

Archived