Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There and Back Again

LoyalSkinsFan

Quite a journey this 2006 football season has been for Washington Redskin fans. We all (admit it) started the year off with hopes for a Super Bowl victory and, after this weeks' 16-10 win over the Saints have been practically effervescent over what amounted to a solid defensive effort...which included a heart-stopping-palm-juggling-can-it-be-true interception...and an offensive effort that showcased a ball-controlling-confidence-building-keep-em-guessing gameplan that for the first time in a while was only offensive in name and not in performance.

I feel it's important to say it aloud.....

"There's hope for us yet, Redskin fans."

A lot went well on Sunday. We traveled to a hostile and raucous environment in New Orleans...a city longing for a Cinderella story and a playoff birth.....and for the most part, shut down the number one offense in the league. For our part, we controlled the ball and the clock, and did what we had to to keep drives alive when it mattered most. We got some bounces our way for the first time in a long time, and got some timely breaks and dropped balls when coverages failed. These are the types of things that happen to teams who work hard and stick with the gameplan...these are the types of things that happen to teams on the rise. And, that's just what we are.

But, we're not out of the woods just yet.

There were still just enough miscues and mental mistakes to keep us from extending drives....there were times when we had to settle for field goals where touchdowns would have stretched the game to the point of a runaway. This game was far too close for comfort...and, were it not for some key defensive plays late in the fourth quarter, it could have been disasterous.

But, it's a step. A step forward to return to the past. The reality is, we're only a four and nine team right now, but we're a four and nine team that's playing as if they were in a playoff run. This, to me, speaks volumes for our players, our coaches and our organization as a whole. We, as fans, are playing our part, too.....the fact that we're as vocal as were are today on this site it testament to our loyalty and faithfullness.

For those fans too young to have any memory of the George Allen days or of Joe Gibbs' first run as coach, well, THIS is just a taste of what it's like to truly be a Redskin or Redskin fan. The character, faith, humility and pride that all of us are showing now are indicative of this organization as a whole and of what it was like in past years. Don't get too down on Daniel Snyder because I'm sure he remembers what those days were like and, truth be told, would like nothing better for us to be able to live thru days like those again. The day will come when we'll get the respect we feel we are due...but, we will have earned it, both on the field and off.

Yesterday was just a hint of what "Redskin football" can be like when it's really clicking. The gaps in the O-line were big...and when they closed, the backs fought for the extra yard as if it really mattered. And it did. The defense played with heart....never letting up and chasing down the opposition with everything they had. The special teams were, frankly, special. Solid punts, field goals stright thru the goal posts, coverage that smothered and returns that seemed as if they were ALL just an inch away from being broken. Play action passes worked like a charm....and Joe Gibbs ran things with a killer's instinct....seemingly with the foot on the pedal the whole day. It's been a while since we've seen so many shots down the field....they may not have all connected, but it certainly kept the defense honest...and, most importantly, showed that we were going for the kill.

There's still a great deal of work to be done...and the next two weeks may yet hold serious failings as well as improvement....but as long as we remain consistent and on the upswing, then I'll hold faith for next year....like I ALWAYS do.

And, maybe then, we can return to the past.....because I'm convinced now, more than ever, that Joe Gibbs has not been passed by...and that within the heart of this organization and its fans still beats the collective heart of champions.

HTTR

Archived