Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre- Season

NYSkinsfan82

I just wanted to remind everybody that it is only preseason!! We have a new offense that the play book is the size of the bible. Everybody should know better to expect them to come out of the off season banging on all cylinders. Everybody needs to work the bugs out...That is why they have preseason, I think it would be a shame to cut preseason anymore than it is. I read this at fox sports.

The Redskins are hopeful that Portis will return from his partially dislocated left shoulder on time for the September 11 season opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

Portis was examined at length on August 14 in Birmingham, Alabama by famed surgeon James Andrews who concurred with the diagnosis made by the Redskins' medical team after Portis was hurt in the first quarter of the previous night's 19-3 preseason-opening loss at Cincinnati.

"The feeling is that it's something that's going to be sore," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. "As soon as we get the soreness out of there, they feel like Clinton can start rehabbing. You would think that it's a lot better than getting something separated. We would hope he would be ready for the opener."

Portis said that he was so sore that he couldn't sleep the night he was hurt and added that top veterans should skip preseason.

"I don't know why myself or any other player of my caliber should be playing in the preseason," Portis said. "For the last four years, I've done enough to show the world I'm going to be ready for the season."

However, Gibbs affirmed the importance of preseason even after seeing Portis go down and after losing offensive tackle Jon Jansen for the year in the 2004 preseason opener.

"The preseason games are the first time that you can have real full-go contact," said Gibbs, who opened his camp on July 31, later than any other coach. "You'd love to get (your starters) 8, 10, 12 plays. You'd like to get them started with some contact and get in some kind of a groove.

"If you back off that, you hurt the preparation for your team. It's a balancing act: how much you play guys, how much you run the risk of getting somebody hurt."

Portis that said several teammates questioned him for risking injury by racing to make a tackle after an interception in preseason.

"But) if I let him go, I'm sitting in the meeting tomorrow getting yelled at (by coaches)," Portis said.

But Portis, Denver's second-rounder draft choice in 2002, has never had to fight to make a roster. "I don't think the preseason is too long," said receiver Brandon Lloyd, a fourth-rounder with the 49ers in 2003. "The people who think it's too long are guys who have never had to fight for a roster spot. I needed four games to prove I could play in this league. Even though I'm established and have a spot, I'm still about players fighting hard to make the team. I want to see how the undrafted guy who comes out of nowhere uses these four games to make a roster and becomes an impact player."

In this article I really don't care about Portis's comments, Brandon Lloyd says it all and you never know what kinda of talent might show up. :applause:

To all the players that feel that preseason should be cut......tough it out...Never saw the old time players whining!! They toughed it out and still played with broken bones. This is my 2 cents. Yea its a bummer that Portis got hurt in Preseason, but I rather see him go down is preseason then the season when everything does count!!!

Archived