Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Brian Williams Signs with Jags

jimster

Jaguars Sign Cornerback Brian Williams

http://sports.iwon.com/news/03112006/v3909.html

Mar 11, 6:23 PM (ET) Email this Story

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The Jacksonville Jaguars signed free-agent cornerback Brian Williams on Saturday in a move to bolster their secondary.

Williams, a fifth-year veteran, played the last four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings under Mike Tice, now an assistant head coach-offense for the Jaguars.

"Our defensive coaches loved Brian's physical style," Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said. "He has good size and he has played a lot of man-to-man coverage, which will enable us to open up the blitz. Mike Tice confirmed what we saw as we studied this player, and he spoke highly of Brian's quality character."

The Jaguars were looking to strengthen the cornerback spot opposite Rashean Mathis, where Kenny Wright started all 16 games in the regular season. Wright had two interceptions and six deflected passes.

Williams started nine games and played in 14 contests last season for the Vikings. He had four interceptions, 46 tackles and 11 passes defensed. He also had nine special teams tackles.

"I'm definitely excited to be here," Williams said. "I'm looking forward to contributing to the great defense here.This is a playoff team on the rise, and I want to help take it a step further."

Williams was the Vikings' fourth-round pick in 2002 out of North Carolina State. He has played in 62 career games with

Archived