Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Decert the CBA? What does that mean?

tr1

Since the 'League Year' ends Feb 19th, I thought I'd post a link to a document we may all become too familiar with over the next 3 to 6 weeks.

The posturing has begun, with the NFLPA threatening decertification.

March 3rd is a key date, but why? Is it because it is two weeks after Feb 19?

LTBEs...what kind of incentive is that?

These and more questions can be answered in the CBA:

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete#art1

(EDIT: (Actually, it's the Union that would decertify...something that could benefit the Redskins in the long run...)

Since the 'League Year' ends Feb 19th, I thought I'd post a link to a document we may all become too familiar with over the next 3 to 6 weeks.

The posturing has begun, with the NFLPA threatening decertification.

March 3rd is a key date, but why? Is it because it is two weeks after Feb 19?

LTBEs...what kind of incentive is that?

These and more questions can be answered in the CBA:

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete#art1

(EDIT: (Actually, it's the Union that would decertify...something that could benefit the Redskins in the long run...)

I think it only means that it gives the players the right to strike legally? Or is this different from them decertifying the union? Also that webpage kills Opera.

Decertification is a term referring to dissolution of the union. Without a union, the NFL has no CBA. Without a CBA, they don't have the non-statutory labor exemption to the antitrust laws. Without that exemption, they don't have the legal protection they need to maintain a salary cap.

The March date is significant since it's the start of free agency. LTBEs are Likely To Be Earned incentives and are (in addition to Unlikely To Be Earned Incentives) defined by the CBA. Both types of incentives count against the cap (something that Nunyo Demasio didn't know) and differ only when they count (either in the current capped year or in the following capped year).

Archived