Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racial biases in society

Duckus

I have a feeling this is about to start a firestorm on this board between democrats and republicans since that is part of what this article talks about. However, I found this article interesting not so much because of Democrat v Republican (which I know will be the only thing debated here) but instead how racism from ALL sides is still a problem in society subconsciously. A lot of people don’t feel racist and think they have no biases, but it is interesting to see what people subconsciously feel. I have taken that test that they refer to with a couple of friends like 6 months ago and the results were rather surprising.

Study Ties Political Leanings to Hidden Biases: (Shankar Vedantam)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012900642_pf.html

Classifying, labeling and "judging" are natural processes in our brain which help us process incoming information... It is unavoidable, especially if we make believe that we do not do it. Recognizing and catching it is the key.

Everybody does it. Acknowledging that is merely the first step.

I have a feeling this is about to start a firestorm on this board between democrats and republicans since that is part of what this article talks about. However, I found this article interesting not so much because of Democrat v Republican (which I know will be the only thing debated here) but instead how racism from ALL sides is still a problem in society subconsciously. A lot of people don’t feel racist and think they have no biases, but it is interesting to see what people subconsciously feel. I have taken that test that they refer to with a couple of friends like 6 months ago and the results were rather surprising.

Study Ties Political Leanings to Hidden Biases: (Shankar Vedantam)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012900642_pf.html

Was the test online? It seems interesting in how they administered the test.

We all know the macro stereotypes of the different political parties. The question is how true are they? I guess the article implies that further testing will help clarify the minds of Republicans and Democrats alike.

Was the test online? It seems interesting in how they administered the test.

We all know the macro stereotypes of the different political parties. The question is how true are they? I guess the article implies that further testing will help clarify the minds of Republicans and Democrats alike.

I did not do take the test for this study - but I took one that is basically that test and it was online. I will see if i can find it....

Subconcious stereotyping is an effect of growing up in a homogenous environment (or other environmental factors). And that does apply to GOPers more often, but it really isn't their fault. No one can help how they are conditioned. Anyone that can overcome them though has respect in my eyes.

Archived