Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Davis doesn't fit???

Hokieskin

I have heard that people don't think Stephen Davis will fit into Spurrier's offense. I want to know why?

All Davis does is run for 100+ yards if you give him the ball 25-30 times. He was a good reciever out of the backfield when he was playing FB. He can change direction. He can get the tough yards. When you are inside the 5, then you know it is SD TD time. I think SD will DESTROY the Cards. I think he will be like a Marshall Faulk type back with SOS at the helm. But I guess Faulk doesn't fit into our offense either.

Listen if Marty "Offensive-moron" Schonehimer can use SD in his offense, then Steve "Offensive-genius" Spurrier might be able to find a place in his offense for one of the best backs in the game. I think SD will be resign before the season is done because with SD Spurrier knows that the running game is golden.

I think its funny how many SS critics say that the Fun N Gun is not good in the red zone, then continue to say that Davis won't fit in the offense. Of course, they are neglecting the fact that Davis is exactly the kind of back SS could ride in the red zone. If not mistaken, he has never really had this kind of back at UF. I think SD will score a bunch this year...

:fortune: I can see it now... Matthews throws the deep bomb to Derrius. Some how the safety catches up and makes the tackle on the 15. SOS comes out with 4 wide and SD. the commentators say that the play is a mistake. SD gets the ball and runs over Darren Woodson for the TD.

I think that SD will get his carries and get more yardage. I figure about 20+. I know that SOS likes to throw but I think he is smart enough to have balance.

SOS didn't have those kind of backs because he didn't recruit them. SOS likes backs who can catch, adjust well to blocking schemes, and can run very precise routes. They have to have speed and the ability to use that speed to outrun or out manuver defenders.

It is why R Gilliespe excels in the Steve system, he has those attributes. HBC will run the ball, I read the thread on how people in the NFL will stop his offense. But ask the TN, PennSt, or FSU people about that when Steve had Fred Taylor. You would have thought you were watching Nebraska play ... Fred had over 200 yards rushing in each of those games. But Fred could catch the ball, ran very precise routes, and blocked like a TE .... in addition to being a tough runner.

SD will have to eleviate his game in those areas for the HBC to use him extensively, IMHO.

Spurrier's backs have had very good success in his system, he had Fred Taylor and Eric Rhett at Florida, and made Gary Anderson a star in the USFL.

Davis will be a great fit in this offense. People perceive his game to be pure power, but that's just not true. He has good quickness, great vision and can make things happen when he gets in to the open field.

He won't have over 300 carries this season, but his carries will be much more productive. His yards per carry should be around 4.5 this year, up from the 4.0 of Marty's smashmouth attack. I say he'll end up around the 1200 yard mark rushing, 10-12 TD's and he'll add in 40-50 catches.

Archived