Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:A Change of Command

FLSKINSFAN

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/23/AR2006012301197.html

A Change of Command

Gibbs Relinquishes Play-Calling on Offense to Saunders

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 24, 2006; Page E01

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs handed control of his offense to Al Saunders yesterday, naming him associate head coach for offense and giving him play-calling responsibilities.

"Al Saunders has a tremendous background," Bugel said. "He's very demanding, which we like, and he's a great communicator with the players. It's like Joe says, he was the perfect fit. I'm happy as a lark, and I know talking to Don Breaux over the weekend that we're all really excited. When Joe Gibbs puts a staff together and you ever feel slighted or feel bad, it's time to get out, because we're here to win and if we have 50 coaches who can add something, why not?"

I really like reading about Bugel's response and his paraphrase of the other offensive coaches' reactions. I really hope that we can get some solidified blocking with the offensive line and turn our unit into something that resembles Kansas City's. I think they have a better line and running system, but we are probably equal on receivers with the exception of Moss, who is better than anything Saunders has worked with since Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

Archived