Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official(LOL): What if Sean Taylor goes to Jail?

Mordy

I worked in court for years. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I see how things tend to work out.

Firstly, Sean Taylor has more money than God. Therefore, he can get the very best lawyer he can find. This lawyer has spent MONTHS and MONTHS on this case, checking every single angle, depositioning every possible witness, and tying up every loose end. On the other side of the coin, you have an overworked, stressed Commonwealth Attorney (or whatever the equivalent is in Florida - I'm from Virginia, we have Commonwealth Attorneys here). This guy (or gal) has at least 100 cases a month just to him or herself, most of which are probably felonies.

The math is pretty easy to work out. There's a reason why the best attorneys in the country are who they are. If whoever was working for the state was that good, they wouldn't be working for the state. They would work for Sean Taylor or Ray Lewis (see any similarities in the two cases?).

Then you look at the facts of the case. From what I understand, no one was hurt. No property was significantly damaged. Were shots fired? I personally don't know (I read at some point but forgot), but even if they were, who are the witnesses? Can their credibility be challenged? If it can, it doesn't matter if they say Sean Taylor was shooting hand grenades at Cowboys fans. Their testimony will be almost worthless. The point is, it will be VERY difficult to put any kind of violent action into Sean's hands without at least three credible witnesses (credible meaning no crimes of moral terpitude on their record, such as stealing or cheating. Even passing bad checks can make you basically incredible).

The moral of this story: even if Sean Taylor had actually SHOT someone, he'd STILL probably be suiting up for camp. As is, this is a tiny, footnote case on a docket filled with crack dealers, repeat offenders, and violent criminals. The state will not be able to prepare himself properly for the legal onslaught of a true A-grade attorney, even if they use a team to attack the defense (which they won't).

Hope this eases some fears. I'm not an oracle or anything, but I've seen enough of this stuff in real life to not be worried about it at all.

Archived