Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much to believe the analysts

richanathai

I found this wonderful article by Mike (Un)Wise I post some exceprts of what he had said last year on losing Smoot, Pierce and Coles

"Fred Smoot signed with Minnesota last night because he wasn't a Joe Gibbs guy -- meaning the team did not want to pony up the money for Smoot. The loss of a ball-hawking cornerback comes less than a week after linebacker Antonio Pierce signed with the New York Giants. Pierce was apparently not a Gibbs guy. Laveranues Coles, judging by his comments to The Post's Nunyo Demasio, is definitely not a Gibbs guy. He was traded to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, a wide receiver afraid to go across the middle."

Yes Santana Moss is real scared to go in the middle esp after taking some hits and blocking for Portis. Look what Smoot is doin "cruisin" and dont talk to me abt Pierce

"Seems no one is a Gibbs guy anymore. Or is this some wild scheme to rid the roster of non-believers, players who do not wholly buy into the system of the coach and team president?"

Yea right

"It's one thing for Gibbs to change the culture so that not every NFL player comes here to open a trust fund for his great-great-grandniece. Fine. But have we seen any signs that Gibbs actually knows what he's doing with the salary cap? After all, he's a fiscal calamity himself, having wasted millions on Mark Brunell, the worst free agent signing in the NFL last season."

Dude he's been way off thrice already

This one takes the cake

"Already the Redskins have made some awful mistakes this offseason. A year after trading Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis, a back who will ultimately break Gibbs's heart, Smoot was deemed unaffordable"

Here I attach the article for post mortem.....please MW shut the hell up and become a believer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18484-2005Mar8.html

Smoot wanted #1 money, he's a good #2 at best

we had Marshall to replace Pierce, who is smaller, but better in coverage

Coles didn't fit what we needed in a WR, Moss did

we still don't pass across the middle, we run the ball, and always pass outside the numbers (to Moss or Cooley, or whoever)

That's what you get for being opinionated. It would have been very easy for them to acknowledge that Gibbs MIGHT have a point before ripping him like that. They did not - now they pay :)

Seriously give the coach a chance, looks like MW gets paid for selling derogatory articles

I agree that in retrospect the article sounds off-base, but what response did it get when it came out? This is the first time I read it, so this is an actual question.

I totally agree with you, the response would have been in agreement with MW, but the irony is what stands out.

• 1 month later...

Archived