Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blurb about Taylor's spitting and fine from PFT....

TC4

Okay, I KNOW it's Profootball Talk.com(TC4 ducks from the impending onslaught by bubba), but they make a point here about Bucs RB Michael Pittman that I have to say I agree with:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

THE $17,000 LOOGIE

The league has fined Redskins safety Sean Taylor $17,000 for spitting in the face of Bucs running back Michael Pittman. On the surface, the number seems a bit arbitrary; the reality is that it's the equivalent of Taylor's payday for the playoff game.

Far more surprising to us than the fact that Taylor was fined a game check for the incident is that players only get a measly $17,000 for wild card playoff games. This projects to $289,000 over a 17-week season. For every guy on the team.

Hey, NFLPA -- at a time when you're looking for items on which to draw lines in the sand during the CBA negotiations, how about getting the guys a raise for risking further injury during high-intensity postseason contests, especially since something like a torn ACL occurring in January throws a huge wrench into the guy's preparations for the next season.

One last note on this one. We still don't understand why Bucs running back Michael Pittman didn't at least draw a flag for responding to the spit with a open-handed blow to Taylor's grill. We're not saying Pittman should have been ejected or fined, but that he should have been flagged for an offsetting penalty.

Absent the flag, the message it sends is that retaliation is okay under certain circumstances. It isn't, and it shouldn't be.

Archived