Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: LaCanfora chat (1-6-06)

Posse81

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/01/04/DI2006010400719.html

Jason La Canfora: Hello all. Hope yoy are prepared to make history today - the first postseason Washington Post online Redskins chat ever (right? I mean, they weren't doing these badboys in 1999 were they?). Anywho, this will be a transcript to show the grandkids down the line, I just know it.

Well, in the end, my prediction that the D would slip a little and the offense would improve and Brnell would be the starting QB again, all look pretty sage. My thoughts that Santana Moss might not be an upgrade at WR, and that the Skins would win somewhere around 7 games, and that their playoff run would come a year from now ... well, you get what you pay for sometimes.

Okay, enough of my rambling here, let's see what you good people have for me. It's the playoffs; I hope everyone is taking it one day at a time and is bringing their A Game to this chat.

Here goes ...

A Eckert (Germantown, MD): JLC-

I'm going to throw some names out....and you tell us the 1st thing that pops in your mind.

1. Shawn Springs

2. Lavar Arrington

3. Jason Campbell

4. Randel El

5. Andy Reid

6. Bill Parcells

thanks

-You're bestest email buddy

AEE

Jason La Canfora: Great way to start.

Hello AEE from JLC

Okay.

Springs - See ya in Seattle

LavAr - goner

Campbell - Better be able to backup

Randel El - Staying in the Burgh (but what a free agent pickup he would be)

Andy Reid - Humpty Dumpty

Parcells - Underrated sense of comedic timing; one of the best quotes in the NFL.

You're my favorite penpal, too.

Washington, D.C.: I usually watch the Skins with a small group of friends at someone's home, but I am interested in watching tomorrow's game at a bar or something to enjoy the atmosphere. Any recommendations for a good Skins bar? I'm looking for a place where everybody is focused on the game, not a place where the game is part of the background.

Jason La Canfora: Dude, if you have stuck with one routine for this five game streak and change it now, I believe you by law have to turn in your membership card to Redskins Nation, as well as that Rod Gardner-to-English decoder ring you were issued a few years back.

Either way, I'm the last one to know a good Sunday afternoon watering hole - that's my busiest work day of the week. My suggestion is stick with what got you here, or if you do change it up, keep it on the downlow.

Silver Spring, Md.: Do you think with Sean Taylor in the lineup this Sunday that Chris Simms will have the same kind of success he was 'afforded' in the previous matchup earlier this season? I foresee him getting pressured much more with Philip Daniels playing his best ball as a Redskin lately and a healthy Griffin in the lineup.

Jason La Canfora: I think Daniels playing this well and Griffin being back and healthy now will have more to do with Simms perhaps struggling. Taylor, to me, will have more to do with why the likes of Edell Shepherd find the sledding a bit tougher downfield. Ryan Clark was pretty banged up for that first Tampa game, too, and if those two start blowing up receivers early on, I have a feeling Joey Galloway will notice.

College Park, Md.: Why must LaVar whine about his career 3 days before an elimination game? Your thoughts?

Jason La Canfora: I always respect his candor, and in this case he was basically reiterating things he has said repeatedly over the last 18 months or so, but the timing was horrible. Save it for the end of the season.

Silver Spring, Md.: Do you think that having Griffin drawing double teams on the interior will make a big difference in the pressure the Skins put on Simms? He missed the 1st Tampa game.

Jason La Canfora: To follow up from a few questions back - definitely. Teams are shifting a double to Daniels at times, too, and that in turn frees up the interior. That line has been dominant for a month or so now.

Charlotte, N.C.: Jason-When you guys advance to the Superbowl, can I have one your tickets? Thanks man -- Go get em'!

Jason La Canfora: I appreciate the sentiment, but dude, I have nothing to do with it if the Skins advance to the Super Bowl. Actually, I am headed to Motown to cover the game either way. I don't get a ticket, either - we're striking out all over the place here - but you can have my used press credential if you want it. Just let me know.

Re: Bars: Jason-I agree with you. That chatter clearly does not realize that his/her staying at a friends house has helped contribute to the Redskins success this year. However, if he/she does not care at all about continuing to help, he/she may want to try Stetsons on U Street. They have a big TV and play "Hail to the Redskins" (old school style) each time our guys score.

Jason La Canfora: I pass this question on as a public service announcement only. Have never been to this establishment, can not vouch for it, and thus can not endorse it - Do they have Stella Artois on tap? - but, since I'm in the information business and all, here you go.

Largo, Md.: As far as offseason moves, which positions do you think the Redskins need to improve on more: Defensive line or wide reciever?

Jason La Canfora: I would say adding a young, pass rushing DE, or a big WR may be how they go in the second round of the draft. I expect to be addressed in that draft and free agency.

Fairfax, Va: If I told you in August that:

Mark Brunell would start 15 games and throw 23 touchdowns

Clinton Portis and Moss would set team records for rushing and receiving

The Skins would have a 5-1 division record, and sweep Dallas

And that the Skins would have a 10-2 division record

... you would have thought I was crazy.

Go Joe Gibbs!

Jason La Canfora: I definitely would have. Especially the part about a 10-2 division record - that's not even possible (I know you meant conference record there, but could not resist).

Seriously, it has been a shocking season on so many levels, and the fact they are in a playoff game they very well could win is kind of crazy, too. A lot of people in this organization deserve a lot of kudos right now, from Dan Snyder on down.

Woah: The game's on Saturday playa! Don't miss it! (in your last post, you said "Sunday watering hole). I'm just lookin out for you!

Jason La Canfora: Good catch, bro. I might have missed my flight.

In that case, I know plenty of places to throw back a soda pop or six on a Saturday, but still no great Skins spot, since they're always playing on Sunday.

Fairfax, Va.: In your opinion, who's a better quarterback right now? Chris Simms or Vince Young?

JJ

Jason La Canfora: Not sure.

But let me ask you this - Who is the better frontman: Vince Neil or Chris Cornell?

My vote is for the Crue.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: I can't bring myself to praise Dan Snyder yet. Is that wrong?

Jason La Canfora: I think they guy has done a good job of turning over the keys to Gibbs, helping out where he can, and finding other ventures to keep him busy, a la Six Flags. There are no shortage of people around Redskins Park who credit Dan for various parts of this franchise turnaround - stay tuned, there just might be a story on that topic popping up in this very newspaper sometime soon - and his relationship with Gibbs is rock solid.

Does it excuse everything from that past? That's an individual decision, but he certainly seems to be a changed guy on several important levels.

Crofton, Md.: Who is injured/playing hurt on both teams?

Jason La Canfora: Everyone.

Seriously. This time of year, you could put just about everyone on an injury report. Biggest ones seem to be Springs for the Skins and WR Michael Clayton for the Bucs, exluding guys already on IR (like Randy Thomas, for instance). And while I'm on Randy, how about Ray Brown? Dude is 43 and killing it out there. Running game has not slipped since Thomas went down, and what they lost on some of the outside stuff, they seem to have gained inside. Great to see. Ray is an awesome guy, and a quality human being.

Springfield, Va.: continuing the first question you rec'd, what are your thoughts on:

1. Patrick Ramsey

2. Terrel Owens

3. Greg williams

Jason La Canfora: Wow, I feel like I'm on the shrink's couch here.

Okay

Patrick Ramsey - J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets Jets

Terrell Owens - who's he, a proefesional wrestler or something?

Greg Williams - Never, ever forget the second G. We know what it stands for.

Calm, Please: Jeez, one playoff appearance in 6 years, 2 in 12, and you are ready to canonize Snyder and everyone lse in the organization. A very typical redskins' overreaction. That just shows how starved you guys really are. Enjoy it for now and see you back in the dance in 2011.

Jason La Canfora: Wow, talk about your classic over reactions. Calm, I think you need to chiil, too.

All I said is that an organization that has taken its lumps for a long time - and trust me, I am not shy to point such things out when need be - deserves some respect for starting to change its culture and finally head in the right direction.

Never said Dan has great people skills or is some kind of saint, but when it comes to doing things behind the scenes and making a commitment to improving the team through various means, he has done it.

They proved a lot of people wrong, and to say otherwise is silly.

Alexandria, Va.: I had a dream last night where the NFL decided that the players looked too shaggy on TV, so they mandated that every team offer a free barbershop. Then Joe Gibbs was sitting in a chair getting a haircut in the same style as my Mom. What does this mean?

Jason La Canfora: Wow, I'm way out of my depth here. My first advice would be run to a bookstore and check out everything old Ziggy Freud ever wrote. Godspeed and good luck. I think you'll need it.

Seattle, Wash.: Liz Clarke wrote in today's paper that Joe Gibbs -- whom I greatly admire -- has, in fact, dramatically altered the environment at Redskins Park. She suggests that his emphasis upon character and commitment is really changing the way these folks operate and relate to each other. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical -- I tend to think that this touch of slight success likely just makes everybody feel better, and that at the end of the day the whole NFL monster-money, preening megastar environment makes it impossible to resurrect the old "Redskins guy" mentality. Thoughts?

washingtonpost.com: Vintage Coach Leads a Return to Old Form (Post, Jan. 6)

Jason La Canfora: I there has indeed been a culture shift here. I do not mean to imply that highly paid athletes should be praised and exalted for playing out a season, but a lot would have bailed after three 3 straight losses and a 5-6 record. I believe to that point in 27 games under Gibbs this team has surpassed 21 points just four times and had an 11-16 mark. But there was no dissention, the defense did not turn on the offense and a wild playoff run ensued. That simply did not happen around here under past regimes, and the respect and belief that Gibbs inspires has to at least be part of that turnaround, dontcha think? I know the players and coaches do.

Stella Artois??: Jason, as a former Caps beat reporter, I expect better from you.

Crystal City Sports Pub rocks, good place to watch the game, lots of Skins fans there.

Jason La Canfora: Hey, I love many a beer, just threw that one out.

Favorite hockey beer: Pilsner Urquell (in honor of everyone's favotite ever Cap - Jaromir Jagr, or was it Michael Sivek?).

Does that make me seem any tougher?

How about The Beast straight from the keg, inverted?

Falls Church, Va.: Jason, do you think Lavar and the braintrust of the defense would ever consider moving him to defensive end, or is he definitely done here in D.C.?

Jason La Canfora: I think it'll be a moot point here.

Landover, Bliss: I would like to let you know that I will be serving CROW to all those talking heads, sports writers and fans who said that the SKINS didn't have a chance to make the playoffs. Joe Thiesmann will be my special guest and I will host it at my home.

Jason La Canfora: Sounds like a party. I usually like my crow medium well, served with a nice Chianti.

Gaithersburg, Md.: Do you think Taylor Jacobs has a future in DC? We needed another reciever to step up and he has not done it. Do you think he is just a 2ND round Spurrier bust? Or can he be a good WR?

Jason La Canfora: I don't think Taylor does. He has a year left on his contract, I believe, and has plenty of ability, but I think he blew his chance over those 4-5 games without Patten and Thrash, and the team will look elsewhere for someone to push for a No. 2 receiver. i really like Taylor and maybe a change of locale will help.

Dubai, UAE: Is it gonna be a high scoring game or a defensive one and why ?

Jason La Canfora: Is a middle-scoring game an option? 24-21 - is that high scoring?

That's kind of my gut feeling.

Alexandria, Va.: How do you feel about Reggie Wayne in a Redskins uni?

Jason La Canfora: He will be sought after, no doubt. Money might get a little crazy, though? Would Peyton divert a tiny chunk of his massive deal to help the Colts re-sign him?

16th and U Street NW: Recent reports suggest that there will be a strong contingent of Redskins fans in Tampa for tomorrow's game. Do you expect an appreciable number of fans to be inside the stadium, or are folks just going down to be near the scene? At the Cardinals game, I recall a Skins linebacker (Marshall maybe?) encouraging the Skins fans in the crowd to get loud to disrupt the Cards' snap count, and there were enough Skins fans there to create noticeable crowd noise. Any chance of that in Tampa?

Jason La Canfora: I believe everyone will be congregating at the women's bathroom at Banana Joe's, but I could be misinformed about that.

Falls Church, Va.: About Boswell's column today -- what do you make of his theory that Gibbs is unmatched in making changes in rematch games? I remember the Skins blitzing their brains out vs. Simms last time and never laying a finger on him. Do you think they'll have a better game plan this time?

washingtonpost.com: Boswell: Gibbs Does His Best Work in the Playoffs (Post, Jan. 6)

Jason La Canfora: I think they will, but if they get after Simms Saturday - see, I remembered - that credit will have to Williams. Joe is strictly offense.

Bethesda, Md.: What is LaVar worth in a trade?

Jason La Canfora: Not much, I reckon. He has not had a "LaVar" season since 2003, has a $6.5 million bonus in his deal, which few teams will be willing to take on, and teams will figure after his latest outburst that the Redskins will eventually end up just releasing him anyway. Throw in the injury problems, and it's kind of bleak to expect much return in trade.

Crue?: Your crazy Vince Neal lost all rock credit when he had a makeover on VH1. Next your going to tell us that you bought the Ashley Simpson CD.

Jason La Canfora: And Chris hasn't gone corporate with his supergroup?

Go get Shout At The Devil, turn it up to 11 and tell me this isn't easily one of the best rock albums of the 80s.

I'm talking in their prime.

Fredericksburg, Va.: Jason, Mark these words because next week you will remember them. If you have a chat next week, mention the guy who said that Antonio Brown will have a career day and will be a game breaker - either in returning or in pass reception. Deal?

Jason La Canfora: Deal. If there's a chat next week, my man Howard Bryant will be doing it, but I'll be sure to remind him to give you your props if due.

excellent question, Va.: I can't figure it out...Baseball managers get all dressed up in baseball uniforms...why isn't joe gibbs on the sidelines with his helmet and pads?

Jason La Canfora: excellent question indeed. You've stumped the band.

I say go for it. Would that fire up the players or what? I for one would love to see it catch on, and then maybe instead of shake hands with the opposing coach after the game, they'll headbutt instead with their helmets on.

Now that's football.

Alexandria, Va.: I know we are all excited about the playoffs but look at the minimal list of Skins FA's after the season. I don't see a bunch of holes being created so we should really improve in 06. What do you think?

FA

Cartwright, Koslowski, Royal, Albright, Brown, D. Evans, Kampbell, Holdman, Jimoh, C. Clemons, Johnson.

Jason La Canfora: You're list is correct. Not a huge class of FA they have to re-sign.

I'm sure they're going to have cut a few guys loose to get under the cap, but seem to be in pretty good shape.

Get a Clue: (for Calm Down)-How many of the teams the Skins played this year are considered bums? San Fran/St. Louis... and that's about it? I believe most of the teams we played and beat have winning records and how many would be playoff bound if they were not in some really impressive division? The Skins are in the infancy of their success and potential...just figured out how to click in one of the most competitive battles for an NFC playoff spot since I can remember. This isn't a fluke..we have a HOF coach...do some research

Jason La Canfora: I have nothing to really add here, just fueling the fire by publishing the question/rant.

Gainesville, Va.: Dear Jason,

I just want to commend the Post on the redskins coverage this week. Liz Clarke's article on Gibbs, your article on Blatche and Boswell's column were all superb. Unless Brunell plays like he did last week it's hard to see how Tampa can win. Question: Is Brunell completely recovered? How much did his injury cause his inaccuracy last week?

washingtonpost.com: Redskins Coverage

Jason La Canfora: Mark should be better than last week. Took more work at practice, is feeling better and should be able to plant and throw more free and easy than last week. Have to say, I was really surprised he was able to play and finish that game. Clearly, it was not his best day, but the dude is a gamer.

Playoffs!: Hey Jason, how big do you think it is that the Skins (and Gregg) took that talk of him leaving off the table during the playoffs? One less distraction/one more plus for the team? Or no big deal?

Jason La Canfora: I think it was significant. This was a crazy year for openings, including many close to Gregg's heart. Hard to imagine as many enticing jobs open next offseason, but who knows.

Washington, D.C.: What say you about our running game this weekend? With Tampa's defense studying Portis and keying on the zone blocking, do you expect Betts to get more action up the middle to offset Tampa's run-stuff gameplan? Or are we going to ride Portis, no matter what. I know he's been playing with a lot of bumps and bruises, so I hope he stays healthy and plays his game. Any chance Gibbs employs a trick play in this game? Also, keep up the great work buddy. Nice job on the Blache article.

washingtonpost.com: Blache Keeps Defensive Charges in Check (Post, Jan. 6)

Jason La Canfora: Thanks so much. Glad you liked the article.

It seems to me that since Brown came in for Thomas they are using Betts behind drive blocking on the right side a bit more, and I figure we'll see more of the game.

I think the real key could be Cooley, Portis, Royal and Sellers catching intermediate stuff. Tough team to really exploit on the ground, and you know they're going to try to smother Moss deep.

Centreville, Va.: Jason, The one thing that bothers me about the Skins offense is that there is NO....I mean absolutely NO opposite WR to Santana Moss. If I were a D-Coordinator, I would double Santana and Cooley and make someone else beat me in the passing game (ie Thrash, Portis). What is the problem with Thrash and Taylor Jacobs. Jacobs is supposed to have speed and was a 2nd round choice of Spurrier in his 2nd year as Redskins coach. It appears to me that the Skins will spend their top draft pick on a WR in April.

What are your thoughts?

Jason La Canfora: I'm with you. I'd be shocked if they don't upgrade at this spot in the offseason.

Jason La Canfora: Thanks, I'm signing off because of a computer glitch, but thanks for all the great questions. For anything I didn't get to, feel free to email me at lacanforaj@washpost.com. Enjoy the game and have a great weekend!

Archived