Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beatherd and Casserly?

Seabee1973

When they were with the skins as GM how much say did they have? I remember Beathard left because of a power struggle with Gibbs, not sure exactly what but he wanted more say over personell i think. Then Casserly was promoted from assistant. Beathards when he went to San Diego i dont recall him really pulling to many Guys oput of the draft that were that good Bobby Ross was his best hire there. I think Juinor Seao might have been one of his draft picks but he really picked a good winner in Ryan Leaf.

Then Casserly when he was here really did not have say in drafting because after they hired Norv Casserly wanted trent Dilfer and and Warren Sapp but Turner wanted Heath shuler and Westbrook. I know caserly di dset us up good in the trade of that defensive tackle to carolina and the bears picks so was all he involved with was trading?

From what i think and im pretty sure im right Gibbs probably said get me this guy and get me that guy draft these players and draft those. But i could be wrong.

All I can do is repeat what every TV announcer and Post columnist claimed at the time: that Beathard drafted/traded for the players he thought were best, and Gibbs had final say on who stayed.

Whether this is true, I have no idea. But it was repeated ad nauseam: that there was tension between the two, that Gibbs wanted certain players and didn't get them b/c Beathard had final say on acquisitions--but then Gibbs had final say on who among them remained.

Many coaches since that time have also had complete say over personnel and in general that hasn't worked well; typically you need a dedicated GM to sift thru the talent. Not to say a coach can't do it all, but it helps to have help....

On Beathard. I used to never keep track of the draft because Beathard rarely did anything that made sense and rarely did anything that didn't work out.

On Casserly. This is the guy reponsible for me getting into the draft because he rarely did anything that made sense and rarely did much of it work out. He wiffed on 7 first round picks and a began to outdraft him year after year (really pissed me off). Kenard Lang over Trevor Pryce? Andre Johnson over Tony Brackens? Michael Westbrook over Warren Sapp? (those were tough years for me)

Archived