Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Interviews Thread

jimster

Cottrell Interviews for Vikings' Job; Team Meets With Caldwell

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v8175.html

Jan 4, 10:26 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings interviewed defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell on Wednesday as the team moved quickly to find a new head coach.

The Vikings, who have been tightlipped about the interview process and aren't commenting publicly, also have interviewed Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress and Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders as potential replacements for Mike Tice. Vikings representatives also met with Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell on Wednesday in Indianapolis.

Cottrell is the architect of a big-play defense that became Minnesota's strength over the second half of the season, leading the Vikings to a 7-2 finish after a 2-5 start.

"Ted's a serious candidate," his agent, Joe Linta, said Wednesday night. "It's a real possibility he could get this."

The affable Cottrell has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons but has never been a head coach. He has been the defensive coordinator for the Vikings for the past two seasons, and has received votes of support from several players on the team, including cornerback Antoine Winfield and Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper.

Linta said his client spent several hours interviewing with owner Zygi Wilf and others and was "very happy with how they conducted the interview and very impressed with how committed they are to fixing the problems that went on there this season."

Wilf has said he wants to make a decision quickly to avoid losing a coveted candidate to one of the seven other teams looking for coaches.

The competition is heating up.

Childress flew to Green Bay on Wednesday to interview with the Packers, and Saunders is considered a candidate for other openings, including replacing the retired Dick Vermeil as head of the Chiefs.

The Vikings also have several other candidates, including New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

Ron Rivera, the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears, has also been mentioned as a possibility. He said Wednesday that he has a meeting scheduled with St. Louis and has been contacted by other teams, but would not name them.

Wilf has other needs as well. The Vikings want to hire football boss to oversee personnel and act as a general manager, working alongside salary cap guru and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski.

Philadelphia's Tom Heckert was believed to be at the top of that list, but Heckert re-signed with the Eagles earlier this week, making the coaching opening a bigger priority.

Raiders Begin Process of Finding New Coach

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v8120.html

Jan 4, 9:51 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JANIE McCAULEY

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - Al Davis is putting his lead personnel man in charge of making preliminary contacts with potential candidates for the Oakland Raiders' coaching vacancy.

Those who make the cut with Michael Lombardi will sit down with Davis himself.

The Raiders returned to work Wednesday to begin planning their search, one day after firing coach Norv Turner following two losing seasons in which the team won only once against the AFC West.

"Right now, in 20 cities in America, everyone is trying to figure out how they can win next year," Davis said. "And the coaches who are considered great young coaches right now, next year some of them will be raising their hand looking for jobs. That's the way this business is."

The Raiders also must make decisions soon about the futures of their assistant coaches, though Davis said he expects at least some of them to stay with the organization.

As far as finding Turner's replacement, the club is going to take its time. Davis likes offensive-minded coaches, but Turner was a highly regarded offensive mind and still had problems getting the most from an Oakland offense featuring Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Kerry Collins and LaMont Jordan.

"We're going to do the right thing, however long it takes," senior administrator Artie Gigantino said Wednesday.

Whoever gets the job will try to turn around a team that has posted three straight losing seasons for the first time since the 76-year-old Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team. The Raiders finished 4-12 this season, losing their final six games and eight of the final nine.

"As a player, we've got to keep going on because our job depends on winning," fullback Zack Crockett said. "Hopefully they'll bring someone in who is in the same frame of mind and can relate to the players. The main thing is it's about winning. If you don't win, these things can happen. Everybody's at fault. We'll see brighter days."

Two potential candidates are in Baltimore: Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel and quarterbacks coach Rick Neuheisel.

Fassel, who coached the Raiders' QBs in 1995, was Collins' head coach with the New York Giants during the quarterback's best years - including during the 2000 season when Collins took his team to the Super Bowl.

Fassel is one of few former assistants to leave the Raiders and stay on good terms with Davis. He is a California native and was at Stanford from 1979-83, credited for recruiting and coaching John Elway.

Fassel has the vote of his current boss.

"We're going to be very supportive of Jim's looking and hopefully being able to procure a head coaching job. I think Jim would be outstanding," Ravens head coach Brian Billick said last week.

Neuheisel has visited the Raiders' wine-country training camp twice in recent years at Davis' invitation and Davis has said he likes Neuheisel, who could come at a good price.

Davis didn't rule out again going after Art Shell, now the NFL vice president. Davis has repeatedly said he regretted firing Shell after a 9-7 campaign in 1994.

"I have great respect for him," Davis said. "He was a truly great player. We are happy that he is working for the NFL now in a high-powered position. We'll see what happens in the future."

While Davis didn't eliminate the idea of bringing in fired St. Louis coach Mike Martz in some capacity, he hinted it probably wouldn't be in the top spot because of the owner's concerns about Martz's health. He was forced to step down from the Rams in October with a heart ailment.

Fresno State assistant athletic director Steve Weakland said the school had not yet formally heard from the Raiders regarding interest in coach Pat Hill, but that's not necessarily required and is more of a courtesy when it comes to courting college coaches.

The 54-year-old Hill, who just finished his ninth season leading the Bulldogs, and Lombardi worked together in Cleveland. Hill joined the Browns in 1992 and stayed five seasons, coaching tight ends and offensive line in addition to working in the personnel department evaluating players. Hill's Fresno State bio says he "would have been happy to remain in the NFL had the Fresno State job not opened a possibility for him."

"There are head coaches in the college ranks who have been in the NFL," Davis said. "There is nothing that holds us back from doing what we think is right."

Chiefs in Discussions to Hire Jets Coach

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v8035.html

Jan 4, 9:01 PM (ET) Email this Story

By ANDREA ADELSON

NEW YORK (AP) - Herman Edwards is close to becoming the next Chiefs coach.

Kansas City and the Jets discussed a compensation package for Edwards on Wednesday, a person close to the situation said. Another person familiar with the negotiations said the talks were almost completed.

Both sources spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

The Chiefs, rumored to be interested in Edwards for the last two months, would have to give up draft picks to hire Edwards because he is still under contract with the Jets. Edwards has ties to the Kansas City organization and general manager Carl Peterson, and would replace retired coach Dick Vermeil.

The NFL must approve the deal before it can be official and nothing was submitted to the league office Wednesday, both sources said.

Edwards and GM Terry Bradway previously had scheduled a season-ending news conference for Thursday.

Giving up draft picks is nothing new to the Chiefs. Kansas City surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when it hired Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired. Peterson was upset about that, and though he declined to discuss Edwards at a news conference Tuesday, he did say "Any time I have to part with a No. 1 draft choice it's painful."

But the Chiefs might not have to if the Jets agree to take lower-round selections. That would make sense for the Jets, who need as many picks as they can get to fill holes after a 4-12 season.

The Jets maintained Wednesday the Chiefs haven't officially contacted them. Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan, said he hasn't spoken with the Jets or Chiefs, saying, "I'm only talking to Coach Edwards." A phone message for Edwards wasn't returned.

Edwards, who has two years left on his contract, wants an extension with the Jets so he could have more time to rebuild the team. At $2 million a year, Edwards is one of the lowest-paid coaches in the league, and wanted a raise as a reward for taking the team to the playoffs three times in five years.

Still, he maintained throughout the season and as late as Monday that he planned to be the Jets' coach. In November, team owner Woody Johnson also said he wanted Edwards to stay.

"I'm happy to be the coach here and I'm going to be the coach here, like I said before, and that's as far as I want to comment on it," Edwards said earlier this week.

It appears that is no longer likely. Kansas City always appeared to be a good fit since Edwards has ties to the Chiefs and Peterson, who tried to recruit Edwards to go to UCLA, then signed him as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia. Peterson gave him his first NFL job as an executive in the Chiefs' player personnel department in 1990.

When the Jets played Kansas City to open the 2005 season, Edwards and his wife had dinner with Peterson and his wife - something Peterson said was rare for him to do during the year. Before the game, Edwards expressed his gratitude to Peterson and Vermeil for giving him a chance.

"They were a great influence, there's no doubt about it," Edwards said at the time. "They really set the table for my pro career as a player and as a coach and a scout. I can't be more grateful to both of those guys."

---=

AP Football Writer Dave Goldberg in New York contributed to this report.

Miami Offensive Coordinator Interviews With Houston

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v7932.html

Jan 4, 7:43 PM (ET) Email this Story

By KRISTIE RIEKEN

HOUSTON (AP) - Miami offensive coordinator Scott Linehan wants to use the lessons he learned working with Dolphins coach Nick Saban to help turnaround the Houston Texans.

Linehan was in Houston on Wednesday to interview for the job left vacant when Dom Capers was fired after the Texans finished their season with an NFL-worst record of 2-14.

Miami won its last six games this season to finish 9-7, a five-game improvement from the previous year. Linehan said he saw Saban transform the "culture and attitude of the team."

"Those are some of the things that are going to have to be addressed here and hopefully those would be some of the lessons I've been able to learn and maybe draw upon for this franchise," Linehan said.

Linehan spent the 2005 season with the Dolphins after three years as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with the Minnesota Vikings.

Under Linehan's watch the Dolphins improved from near the bottom of the league in offense to 14th. He helped the Vikings become one of the most potent offenses in the NFL. The unit was ranked fourth in the league in 2004, No. 1 in 2003 and second in his first season.

He has never been a head coach and said Wednesday this was the first time he'd interviewed for such a position.

Houston also plans to interview several other candidates, including Denver's Gary Kubiak, Cam Cameron of San Diego, Kansas City's Al Saunders and Jerry Gray of Buffalo.

Some speculated that Linehan would be a top candidate to coach the Vikings, but he said the Texans are the only team to contact him so far.

Linehan got a firsthand look at the Texans offense in perhaps its most impressive game in history in 2004. Both David Carr and Andre Johnson had career days in a 34-28 overtime loss to the Vikings.

Carr threw for a career-high 372 yards and three touchdowns and Johnson had 12 catches for 170 yards and two scores.

Linehan was so impressed by Johnson's performance that he recited his statistics almost perfectly - he was just one catch off.

"Andre Johnson is probably the young version of a Randy Moss," he said. "A guy that could dominate a game. I saw it in person."

Houston's offense was ranked 30th in the NFL in 2005, averaging just 253.3 yards per game.

Before moving to the NFL, Linehan worked as a college assistant for 13 years at Louisville, the University of Washington, Idaho and Nevada-Las Vegas.

Bears Defensive Coordinator to Meet With Rams

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v7879.html

Jan 4, 7:09 PM (ET) Email this Story

By RICK GANO

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) - Ron Rivera did such a good job this season molding the Chicago Bears' defense and helping the team reach the playoffs that he could be on the verge of a big promotion.

Rivera, the Bears' defensive coordinator, acknowledged Wednesday he'll meet with the St. Louis Rams about their head coaching vacancy this week.

And there are other teams, perhaps the Packers, also interested in talking to Rivera, who helped develop the league's stingiest defense in just his second season in the post.

"There is one confirmed," Rivera said of teams interested in speaking with him. He mentioned the Rams but wouldn't identify the others. There are eight vacancies in the NFL.

A linebacker on the Bears' only Super Bowl team of 1985, Rivera's coaching resume includes two seasons in charge of defensive quality control with the Bears, five years as linebackers coach of the Eagles and the last two under Lovie Smith as defensive coordinator.

"I think as a coach the ultimate goal obviously is to be a head coach. And you do have to look at the opportunities, where you fit. Does that place in particular fit you?" Rivera said.

"I'll go through the process this week and then again at the same time not lose my focus on what the ultimate goal is, and that's the playoffs."

The Bears won the NFC North and earned a first-round bye. They will play Tampa Bay, the New York Giants or Carolina on the weekend of Jan. 14-15 at Soldier Field.

Rivera, whose unit surrendered just 12.6 points per game and was ranked as the top defense until losing that distinction in the season finale at Minnesota, got a big-time push from his best player Wednesday.

"He deserves to be a head coach. He's a smart guy, he knows what he's doing. He gets guys motivated," linebacker Brian Urlacher said.

"We'd love to keep him here, obviously. He's fun to play for, but he needs to be a head coach. He does all the right things. He says all the right things. When he gives us that little speech before the game on Saturday night, he doesn't say a lot, but what he says we take to heart and listen to."

The Rams, who let Mike Martz go, could be taking an approach the Bears did two years ago. That's when they hired Smith to be their coach after he'd been the defensive coordinator in St. Louis.

"I talked with coach (Smith) on a number of occasions. I think the neat thing about it is he does have a lot of insight into the place," Rivera said.

Rivera said he realizes that in the meet-and-greet process or the interview, you have to sell not just what you've done, but who you are.

"I'm very proud of the person that I am," he said. "So when I get up there for an interview, I'm going to be myself. I'm going to certainly sell me and at the same time I'm going to sell the fact that I'm here in a system that has been very successful in a very short time. If that's attractive, which I believe it should be, I feel very confident about my opportunities."

Wilson Shakes Up Bills, Firing Donahoe, Considering Levy as GM

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v7897.html

Jan 4, 7:25 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JOHN WAWROW

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Buffalo Bills president Tom Donahoe is out, coach Mike Mularkey's job is safe, and guess who might be coming back? Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, this time as general manager.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson on Wednesday wasted little time delivering on a vow to restructure his front office. The decisions came days after the underachieving Bills finished 5-11 and missed the playoffs for a sixth straight season.

Offensive coordinator Tom Clements was also fired, his agent, Gary O'Hagan, told The Associated Press. Mularkey declined to discuss any changes to his staff.

"I want to apologize to the fans of Buffalo, we haven't done a very good job for them," Wilson said. "I take responsibility of this organization, and if there's any bullets to be fired, you should fire them at me. However, in Tom's leaving, it is my feeling that we need a fresh start."

Fresh might be a matter of interpretation for the 87-year-old owner, who enjoyed bantering with reporters - kidding that this season's frustrations forced him to up his intake of Prozac pills - while announcing Donahoe's dismissal.

Wilson reclaimed the president's job, saying he will be more active in the day-to-day football operations of his franchise.

Then there's Levy, who turns 81 this year, and is reportedly on the verge of accepting the GM post.

Wilson described Levy as "a very qualified individual," adding a decision on the team's new general manager is expected within days.

Levy is the team's winningest coach with a 112-70 record. He led the Bills to four consecutive AFC titles in the early 1990s before retiring after the 1997 season.

Levy's possible involvement reflects Wilson's desire to bring in a trusted confidante and longtime friend to an organization that, at times, alienated fans and even the team's owner under Donahoe.

(AP) Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson announces the firing of Bills president and general manager, Tom...

Full Image

Donahoe, the only executive to hold the president's title in the franchise's 46-year history, was dismissed after five seasons. Despite increasing the team's ticket base, Donahoe's ultimate failure was the team's inability to win.

The Bills went 31-49 during Donahoe's tenure. The 31 wins are tied with Cleveland for the third fewest in the NFL during that span. Besides Houston, which joined the league in 2002, the Bills are the only AFC team since 2001 that has failed to make the playoffs.

Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs since 1999.

"I just don't feel we've made enough progress in the last five years," Wilson said. "I think we have a good future. But I do think we need a fresh start."

Donahoe released a statement thanking Wilson and Bills fans.

(AP) Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson announces the firing of Bills President and General Manager Tom...

Full Image

"While we are very proud of the progress made by the Bills organization over the last few seasons, we also recognize the fact that this is a bottom-line business and our record has not been good enough," Donahoe said. "I take full responsibility for that."

Mularkey retained his job after meeting with Wilson for the second time in two days - and shortly after the owner announced Donahoe's dismissal.

Wilson said Mularkey's status will not be affected by whomever he hires as a general manager, and he doesn't consider next season as a definitive year for his coach. Mularkey is 14-18 after two seasons in Buffalo and has three years left on his contract.

Mularkey said he's not impacted by the uncertainty of the team's search for a general manager and added that he would welcome Levy.

Wilson also announced assistant GM Tom Modrak will retain his job.

(AP) Buffalo Bills President Tom Donahoe looks over the team during training camp at St. John Fisher...

Full Image

Donahoe was knocked for his management decisions, particularly the hiring of coach Gregg Williams, who was dismissed following the 2003 season after going 17-31 in three years.

Donahoe was also faulted for failing to address offensive line woes this season despite awarding the starting quarterback job to the untested J.P. Losman. Losman went 1-7 as a starter and was eventually benched. The Bills' offense struggled overall and the 4,122 yards were the fewest produced by Buffalo in a 16-game season.

Chargers' Phillips Will Interview With Packers

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v7425.html

Jan 4, 1:22 PM (ET) Email this Story

By CHRIS JENKINS

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will interview for the Green Bay Packers' vacant coaching job Monday, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Phillips, who just concluded his second year as an assistant to Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, was the Buffalo Bills' coach from 1998-2000. He also was Denver's coach from 1993-94 and twice has served as an interim head coach, in New Orleans and Atlanta.

Phillips is one of several candidates expected to be interviewed by Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who fired coach Mike Sherman on Monday.

Sherman said Wednesday he wasn't given a reason why he was fired a day after the Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks to finish the season 4-12, their worst record in 15 years.

"I think Ted just felt there was a need at this time to make a change," Sherman said.

Sherman, who signed a two-year contract extension in August, was stripped of general manager duties a year ago and replaced by Thompson.

"Sometimes you just need your own guy. Maybe that's the situation that happened here," Sherman said.

Sherman said he had no regrets: "I gave this job everything I had. I am proud of what we accomplished during that time."

In addition to Phillips, Thompson said Monday he will speak to current Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates about the job.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the Packers and New Orleans Saints were granted permission to interview Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton.

Gary O'Hagan, agent for former Detroit Lions coach Steve Mariucci, said the Packers had not contacted Steve Mariucci as of Tuesday evening. Mariucci was the Packers' quarterbacks coach under Mike Holmgren and was fired during the season as Detroit's coach.

Knowledgeable Kubes a Hot Coaching Prospect

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01042006/v7661.html

Jan 4, 4:29 PM (ET) Email this Story

By EDDIE PELLS

DENVER (AP) - Gary Kubiak had an average arm and was not very nimble, but still managed to last nine years with the Denver Broncos as John Elway's backup.

The reason was simple: The guy knew the offense.

After he retired, Kubiak took that knowledge to the sideline. Now, 15 years later, Denver's offensive coordinator might be the hottest NFL head-coaching prospect around.

The Broncos have already received an official request from the Houston Texans to interview Kubiak during their bye week, as is allowed by NFL rules.

Coach Mike Shanahan said other teams have contacted the Broncos, as well, and while he wouldn't get specific, he confirmed reports that pretty much every team with an opening - Detroit, St. Louis, Green Bay, New Orleans and Kansas City - has at least made preliminary contact with the Broncos about the coach they call "Kubes."

If anyone can relate to Kubiak, it would be Bradlee Van Pelt, the current backup quarterback, who spends a lot of his time during practice on the sideline studying, the way Kubiak did from 1983-91.

"Being a backup is a lot harder than anyone anticipates," Van Pelt said. "You don't get the reps, but you have to know everything. That's what he warns me about. He says, you've got to know your stuff and no one's going to know if you're preparing right until you go onto the field."

As his rare performances with the Broncos proved, nobody prepared better than Kubiak.

Just like Elway, Kubiak came to the Broncos as a rookie in 1983. He was less than an afterthought, though, an eighth-round pick out of Texas A&M, who played third string behind Elway and Steve DeBerg.

Bronco fans got to know Kubiak much better on Oct. 28, 1984, when Elway woke up ill hours before Denver's game at Los Angeles against the Raiders. Kubiak made the second start of his career. His line that day: 21-for-34 for 206 yards and two touchdowns in front of a hostile crowd of 92,000-plus. Final score: Denver 22, Los Angeles 19 in overtime.

He finished his career 4-1 as a starter, all in emergency relief of Elway. Perhaps his best performance, though, came in the 1991 AFC championship game in Buffalo.

Elway took a nasty shot to his leg early in the game and was struggling. The Broncos were trailing 10-0 in the fourth quarter. Kubiak relieved him and completed 11 of 12 passes for 136 yards. He led a late, 85-yard touchdown drive to pull Denver within three points. The Broncos recovered an onside kick and Kubiak completed a pass to Steve Sewell, but Sewell fumbled to end the comeback.

"It was a great feeling," Kubiak said after the game. "It's just too bad we came up short."

It was the last game Kubiak would play.

Kubiak, who did not make himself available for interviews Wednesday, went on to be an assistant at Texas A&M, then caught on as quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 1994, when Shanahan was offensive coordinator and the Niners won the Super Bowl.

When Shanahan got the head-coaching job at Denver in 1995, Kubiak came with him as his coordinator. They've worked together ever since, producing an offense ranked in the top 10 in 10 of their 11 seasons together.

"It's an opportunity that he's earned," Shanahan said. "He's done a great job here. He's done a great job since he's been in the NFL and whoever gets him will be lucky."

Kubiak has had chances before, a hot prospect in the late 1990s when Denver was winning Super Bowls. Texas A&M wanted him. So did Colorado, and many thought he'd take that job. But in the leadup to Denver's second Super Bowl win, he surprisingly pulled out of the running for the CU job, insisting that at 37 he still needed to grow as a coach "and I have a chance to continue to grow under the best."

While he grew, the Broncos shrank from the national limelight. Now, they're back near the top again, at 13-3, and Kubiak's name is hot.

Shanahan seems all but resigned to losing his coordinator and one of his closest friends and confidants.

"You always hate to lose a great coach, but he's earned the right to be the head man, and I think he'll do a great job," Shanahan said.

Between now and then, Kubiak will concentrate on trying to help Denver win another Super Bowl.

"Check his resume. Check his history. He gets things done," running back Mike Anderson said. "He strives to be the very best. He strives for that perfect game plan one week to the next, to set us up to where we can be successful."

Archived