Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Watchdog Criticizes Kazakhstan Over Ali G

spanishomelette

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051215/ap_en_ce/ali_g_kazakhstan

ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Kazakhstan needs to chill out and leave Borat alone, an international media watchdog group says.

Reporters Without Borders is criticizing Kazakhstan for going too far in its war over the words of British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, best known in the U.S. as the title character of the satirical "Da Ali G Show."

The leaders of the Central Asian ex-Soviet nation, fuming over Cohen's brutally satirical portrayal of an ignorant Kazakh journalist, pulled the plug this week on his Web-site use of a Kazakh Internet domain name.

[.......]

In a statement posted on the now-blocked Borat Web site, Cohen, who is Jewish, said: "I like to state, I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my government's position to sue this Jew."

"Since the 2003 ... reforms Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world," he said in his video address using the blue Kazakh national flag as a backdrop. "Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hat and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

Archived