Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Power Rankings getting dumb...

raperry2

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the excellent job CBS, FOX, ESPN, and SI are doing with their power rankings. It has to be a real tough job to put the teams in order by their records. I mean come on! These guys are getting paid to make power rankings that are almost precisely the same as just listing the teams in order of their record. Why not have the Dolphins in the top 10 after their performance or move the Panthers way down after their poor performance? I thought power rankings were supposed to be about who is hot and who is not.

Thoughts?

Maybe it has to do with a cumulative season analysis. Like Parcells said, you are what you are. Your record shows how good your team is.

i definitely get your point. but i thought power rankings were about how "hot" every team was. if they aren't and your idea is correct (i dont know which is?), then power rankings are pointless. you agree?

i definitely get your point. but i thought power rankings were about how "hot" every team was. if they aren't and your idea is correct (i dont know which is?), then power rankings are pointless. you agree?

I don't think they are intended to be a rating of how "hot" teams are. I think they are just a subjective listing of which team is believed to be the best, with record being one of the measures used.

I think their decisions eventually become based only on record because of whiny internet sports fans that fill their e-mail with angry messages when their favorite team is ranked behind someone with a worse record/someone they beat previously.

Most of the power rankings are either based on a vote of analysts or perhaps just one guy puting the list together. FOX's model is far more sophisticated.

The thing I hate about them are the stupid comments in many of the teams's slots. I'd prefer that they'd say something football related.

Archived