Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Rules Question

freakinandpeakin

A friend and I were talking about this and we weren't sure of the rule, hopefully someone can clarify. It arose because of Mike Sellars touchdown on Sunday night. The refs on the field ruled a touchdown, but it was reviewed to see if he broke the goaline before he fumbled and the ball was recovered by an Eagle. If on the review the refs ruled he had fumbled what would the result have been?

If it had been a regular carry and the whistle blows there is no fumble, because the ref ruled the play dead. Does the calling of a touchdown end the play and a subsequent fumble will not count? In other words, say they determined there was a fumble, but because the ref ruled a touchdown the play was then dead and the Redskins would have gotten the ball at the goaline for another play?

It seems like officials are slower to call TDs. It used to be that they would raise their arms immediately upon thinking the ball crossed the goalline or was caught in the endzone. This year, I've noticed several times that they would watch carefully and wait for a second or two before giving the signal. I don't know if they did that in this case, but it would buy them some time before ending the play, which would make it easier to review and perhaps overturn.

I was confused when they replayed that as well.

They ruled touchdown on the field, thereby making the play dead from that point on since the ball crossed the goal line.

If they reviewed it and determined it was indeed a fumble, you cannot award the ball to the Eagles because they recovered a dead ball. I imagine the only thing they could have done was given the Skins the ball at the one-inch line...or wherever they determined the fumble occurred.

It was odd....

KingRex, I think you did misunderstand the question. Sellers fumbled the ball and the Eagles recovered the ball at the one foot line. The refs ruled a TD on the field. IF when they reviewed it it was determined it had been a fumble, who would get the ball.

I used the analogy of a whistle in the field of play, because once the whistle blows the play is dead and the ball stays with the team that fumbled whether it was recovered by them or not. I was wondering if the rule is the same with respect to the goalline. Once it is ruled a TD is the play dead and the ball would revert to the team that fumbled whether they recovered the ball or not, if the ball did not actually cross the goalline.

Well, you can't fumble in the endzone. I mean, once the ball crosses, then you have a TD.

If you fumble the ball at the one, and it goes into the endzone, it's a touchback.

My common sense tells me that that particular instance wherein, IF Sellers fumbles the ball from the 1yd line into the endzone, the Eagles would recieve the ball after the ref confirms it was a fumble.

At least that's what I thought. The previous posts suggest otherwise. Too bad their ain't no NFL expert to ask these questions to.

The question does not relate to a fumble into the endzone, it relates to a fumble at the goalline and recovered in the field of play but the play was ruled a TD.

You would be right IF the refs did not rule a TD on the field. When the refs rule a TD is the play presumably over, just like with a whistle? If the play is over like with a whistle would the Redskins have been awarded the ball?

It would seem logical to me, but then there are rules like the tuck rule that make you wonder.

Archived