Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was I the only one...

e.miranda

who thought that we should go for the easy field goal to avoid the shut-out?

Towards the end of the game when we went for the TD on 4th down with a pass to Sellers that he dropped just short of the endzone, I felt we should have kicked a FG, if for nothing else to avoid the shut-out.

Up to that point the Giants plain owned us. So I had no good reason to believe we would even make the TD. There was no way we would make any kind of comeback, with our team firing on no cylinders on both sides of the ball.

It was one of the "wierdest" 'skins games I've ever seen. Considering the consistent defensive play over the past season and a half and the decent offense shown over the past 4 games, it was like an episode of the "Twilight Zone". The ghost of Wellington Mara was poking passes out of receivers' and runners' hands all day long. And, it was like the Giant's offense rolled around in Crisco before the game. I would not have been surprised if Rod Serling would have appeared with an epilogue at the end of the game.

All that being said, I still believe we can beat Philly on Sunday and Tampa after that, followed by the Raiders at home. Time to re-group fellas.

What would kicking a field goal have accomplished? At least a touchdown would have given some small moral victory, but to be down by 36 and kick a field goal from the 2 yard line? Who cares about a shutout? A loss is a loss is a loss. In the post game interviews, do you think we would have heard anyone say "Well, at least we didn't get shut out", if we had kicked that field goal?

Also, the only consistent things about our D this year is that it has consistently given up big running plays, and we have consistently lacked pressure on the QB. I'm very suprised our D has been ranked as high as it has.

Thanks for the correction. And, yes, a FG would not have accomplished much. I know this was a dumb post, I just hated seeing that big fat zero on the other side of 36.

Let's hope they keep on rolling and don't let this game take all the wind out of the bag.

You know what, I think that goose-egg in their face will make them gut check even more, and thats what every player needs to do after a loss like that in the biggest game of the year up to that point. They stunk it up, and 3 points wont erase that. There are NO moral victories to take from a shalacking like that.

Archived