Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Esiason: NFC East may be division to beat

The extremist

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8933880

It's Vinny to the rescue

By Boomer Esiason

Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 6, 2005) -- New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards realized he has no choice but to play 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde at quarterback in Week 5 after the dismal performance against the Ravens. Edwards concluded very quickly that his offensive players played without confidence in Baltimore. In order to restore a vertical passing game and an expanded playbook, Edwards has no choice but to put Testaverde behind center. At least now the Jets' offensive players will feel there is a possibility for a downfield pass, and maybe even some wins.

As you watch the successful offensive teams around the league, you notice it all revolves around the quarterback. If the Jets offense was going to be run the way it was last week under third-year man Brooks Bollinger, then the players would have recognized quickly that their chance for success would be limited, to say the least. I really have no idea how Testaverde will play out for the Jets. All I know is that he'll at least give the team a shred of hope as they take the field against Tampa Bay this week.

Favre: stay focused

After watching Brett Favre on Monday night play without starters Javon Walker, Bubba Franks, Ahman Green, Chad Clifton and Mike Flanagan, it was apparent that he has still got it as a quarterback for the Packers -- or whichever team he plays for. I know people have fantasized about Green Bay trading Favre, but how could the Packers justify doing that? I would think there would be a Packers boycott if it ever happened … unless, of course, it's Favre himself who initiates the trade request.

Favre is a throwback; he is tied to the most historically significant team in the NFL and is thought of as one of, if not the greatest player in franchise history. I personally hope Favre ends his career in a Packers uniform. I just wish he'd stop talking about retirement. The retirement talk creates a great distraction to the players who must go onto the field each week with him. I'd much rather hear from Favre a quote like, "No matter what our record is, no matter where we are in the standings, I will always wear the green and gold with pride. And as long as I wear that helmet with the 'G' on it, I will assure my fans and those of the Green Bay Packers that I will do my best to reverse the current situation."

I understand how difficult it is to play under these circumstances. I know what he's going through. My advice to him: Focus on the task at hand each week and play like you did Monday night. Then, you and your team will have a chance each week.

NFC beast

What's going on in the NFC East? This division is an example of the exact opposite of what's happening in the disastrous NFC North. At the quarter mark of the season, it appears that this is the division to beat. With one of the NFL's rising stars in New York, Eli Manning, and the established Pro Bowler in Philadelphia, Donovan McNabb, the NFC East race is going to be a wild one this season. Philly is looking pretty good right now, but it seems that the other three teams have closed the gap. The Redskins and Cowboys have good defensive teams, young exciting running backs and older quarterbacks who look like they have found the fountain of youth. The Giants lead the league in scoring led by Manning, whose second-year coming-out party has happened earlier than expected.

Sleepless nights

Job security is a funny thing in the NFL. However, it's not so funny for these guys:

1. Mike Tice, Vikings: I said it before the season started that this team has the potential for disaster written all over it. He's lucky he's in the worst division in football. He can still turn it around, but sooner or later they have to look like they know what they're doing and that they care.

2. Mike Sherman, Packers: The NFL is a very unfair place. Playoffs one year, dismal start the next. Pressure is mounting as the Packers are in unfamiliar 0-4 territory for Favre.

3. Dom Capers, Texans: Owners and fans are looking for improvement, and when none is evident, the coach feels the brunt of the criticism.

4. J.P. Losman, Bills: Right now, he looks to be in way over his head. There are rumored rumblings from the defensive side of the ball … how long before those rumblings come from receivers?

5. Dick Vermeil, Chiefs: His defense was supposed to be significantly better this season. McNabb and Terrell Owens made it look like a scrimmage in the second half last week. The Chiefs have suffered two consecutive bad outings.

Archived