Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs on the field!!

G-Town

I got this off of ESPN.

Gibbs happy with role as minority owner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Joe Gibbs stood under a blazing sun Tuesday, watching his first football practice in almost a decade. It quickly became apparent how long he's been away.

The Hall of Fame coach spent more time trying to keep up with his grandkids than breaking down some tedious training camp drill. Sure, he's back in the game as a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons, but he's not about to take on a full-time role.

Coaching again? That's out of the question.

"Once I got out of football, I kind of became the average fan,'' Gibbs said after watching a two-hour practice at Furman University. "I watch the things that any fan would watch. I watch where the ball goes. I'm not too technical anymore.''

Gibbs, who won three Super Bowls with the Washington Redskins before retiring after the 1992 season, is recognized by a whole new generation of fans as the guy who owns one of the top teams in NASCAR Winston Cup racing.

Even his own grandchildren, 4-year-old Jackson and 2-year-old Miller, have no idea what Gibbs used to do.

"This is fun for me, to come to camp without any pressure,'' he said. "My grandchildren have never really seen a football. It will be fun to go to the games with the family. It's something that used to be a big part of our life.''

Gibbs hooked up with the Falcons through his friendship with new owner Arthur Blank, who co-founded Home Depot, which sponsors one of the ex-coach's race cars.

After Blank bought the Falcons for $545 million, Gibbs teamed with two other businessmen to purchase a 5 percent stake in the team.

"I spent 30 years in the NFL,'' Gibbs said. "I always felt like I should give something back to the game. It's a rare opportunity when you get a chance to do something like this. I jumped on that.''

P.S. I am so glad I am a waterboy now!!!! yeehaw!!!

Archived